Some new results on unimodality of generalized order statistics and their spacings
Because of the importance of ordered random variables and, in general, generalized order statistics (GOSs), in many branches of Statistics, a wide interest has been shown in investigating unimodality and strong unimodality of such random variables. Assuming certain restrictions on the model parameters and distributions, some authors have shown unimodality of GOSs. In this article, we shall provide some new results on unimodality of GOSs based on the population distribution function which contain and strengthen several known findings in this regard. A counterexample is also provided for the cases where the results are not valid in general. Unimodality of arbitrary spacings of GOSs based on exponential distributions is also discussed.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 81 (2011)
Issue (Month): 11 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aliev, Fazil Alioglu, 2003. "A comment on 'Unimodality of the distribution of record statistics'," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 39-40, August.
- Erhard Cramer & Udo Kamps, 2003. "Marginal distributions of sequential and generalized order statistics," Metrika, Springer, vol. 58(3), pages 293-310, December.
- An, Mark Yuying, 1998.
"Logconcavity versus Logconvexity: A Complete Characterization,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 350-369, June.
- An, Mark Yuying, 1995. "Logconcavity versus Logconvexity: A Complete Characterization," Working Papers 95-03, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Basak, Prasanta & Basak, Indrani, 2002. "Unimodality of the distribution of record statistics," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 56(4), pages 395-398, February.
- Erhard Cramer & Udo Kamps & Tomasz Rychlik, 2004. "Unimodality of uniform generalized order statistics, with applications to mean bounds," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 56(1), pages 183-192, March.
- Cramer, Erhard, 2004. "Logconcavity and unimodality of progressively censored order statistics," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 83-90, June.
- Chen, Huaihou & Xie, Hongmei & Hu, Taizhong, 2009. "Log-concavity of generalized order statistics," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 79(3), pages 396-399, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:stapro:v:81:y:2011:i:11:p:1677-1682. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.