Some new results on unimodality of generalized order statistics and their spacings
Because of the importance of ordered random variables and, in general, generalized order statistics (GOSs), in many branches of Statistics, a wide interest has been shown in investigating unimodality and strong unimodality of such random variables. Assuming certain restrictions on the model parameters and distributions, some authors have shown unimodality of GOSs. In this article, we shall provide some new results on unimodality of GOSs based on the population distribution function which contain and strengthen several known findings in this regard. A counterexample is also provided for the cases where the results are not valid in general. Unimodality of arbitrary spacings of GOSs based on exponential distributions is also discussed.
Volume (Year): 81 (2011)
Issue (Month): 11 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Basak, Prasanta & Basak, Indrani, 2002. "Unimodality of the distribution of record statistics," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 56(4), pages 395-398, February.
- An, Mark Yuying, 1995.
"Logconcavity versus Logconvexity: A Complete Characterization,"
95-03, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- An, Mark Yuying, 1998. "Logconcavity versus Logconvexity: A Complete Characterization," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 350-369, June.
- Erhard Cramer & Udo Kamps & Tomasz Rychlik, 2004. "Unimodality of uniform generalized order statistics, with applications to mean bounds," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer;The Institute of Statistical Mathematics, vol. 56(1), pages 183-192, March.
- Aliev, Fazil Alioglu, 2003. "A comment on 'Unimodality of the distribution of record statistics'," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 39-40, August.
- Cramer, Erhard, 2004. "Logconcavity and unimodality of progressively censored order statistics," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 83-90, June.
- Chen, Huaihou & Xie, Hongmei & Hu, Taizhong, 2009. "Log-concavity of generalized order statistics," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 79(3), pages 396-399, February.
- Erhard Cramer & Udo Kamps, 2003. "Marginal distributions of sequential and generalized order statistics," Metrika: International Journal for Theoretical and Applied Statistics, Springer, vol. 58(3), pages 293-310, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:stapro:v:81:y:2011:i:11:p:1677-1682. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.