The expected discounted penalty at ruin in the Erlang (2) risk process
In this paper, under the Erlang (2) risk process, we examine the expected discounted value of a penalty at ruin, which is considered as a function of the initial surplus. We first show that the expected discounted penalty function satisfies an integro-differential equation, and give its initial value, as well as its Laplace transform. We further prove that this function is twice differentiable, and satisfies a defective renewal equation. An explicit expression for the solution of this equation can be derived. The associated compound geometric distribution and "claim size" distribution are also studied.
Volume (Year): 72 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lin, X. Sheldon & Willmot, Gordon E., 1999. "Analysis of a defective renewal equation arising in ruin theory," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 63-84, September.
- Dickson, David C. M. & Hipp, Christian, 2001. "On the time to ruin for Erlang(2) risk processes," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 333-344, December.
- Cai, Jun & Dickson, David C. M., 2002. "On the expected discounted penalty function at ruin of a surplus process with interest," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 389-404, June.
- Dufresne, Francois & Gerber, Hans U., 1988. "The surpluses immediately before and at ruin, and the amount of the claim causing ruin," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 193-199, October.
- Li, Shuanming & Garrido, Jose, 2004. "On ruin for the Erlang(n) risk process," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 391-408, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:stapro:v:72:y:2005:i:3:p:205-217. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.