A mean-reverting SDE on correlation matrices
We introduce a mean-reverting SDE whose solution is naturally defined on the space of correlation matrices. This SDE can be seen as an extension of the well-known Wright–Fisher diffusion. We provide conditions that ensure weak and strong uniqueness of the SDE, and describe its ergodic limit. We also shed light on a useful connection with Wishart processes that makes understand how we get the full SDE. Then, we focus on the simulation of this diffusion and present discretization schemes that achieve a second-order weak convergence. Last, we give a possible application of these processes in finance and argue that they could easily replace and improve the standard assumption of a constant correlation.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 123 (2013)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/505572/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Syoiti Ninomiya & Nicolas Victoir, 2008. "Weak Approximation of Stochastic Differential Equations and Application to Derivative Pricing," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(2), pages 107-121.
- Robert Fernholz & Ioannis Karatzas, 2005. "Relative arbitrage in volatility-stabilized markets," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 149-177, November.
- Gourieroux, Christian & Jasiak, Joann, 2006. "Multivariate Jacobi process with application to smooth transitions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 131(1-2), pages 475-505.
- Christa Cuchiero & Damir Filipovi\'c & Eberhard Mayerhofer & Josef Teichmann, 2009. "Affine processes on positive semidefinite matrices," Papers 0910.0137, arXiv.org, revised Apr 2011.
- Tina Hviid Rydberg, 1997. "A note on the existence of unique equivalent martingale measures in a Markovian setting," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 1(3), pages 251-257.
- Christa Cuchiero & Martin Keller-Ressel & Josef Teichmann, 2012. "Polynomial processes and their applications to mathematical finance," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 16(4), pages 711-740, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:spapps:v:123:y:2013:i:4:p:1472-1520. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.