Men, sport, spinal cord injury, and narratives of hope
Drawing on data from a life history study of a small group of men who have suffered spinal cord injury and become disabled through playing sport, this article explores the meanings of hope in their lives. It focuses upon the life stories of 14, white, predominantly working-class men, aged 26-51. The most common kinds of hope used by the men were shaped by three powerful narrative types that circulate in Western cultures. These were 'concrete hope' (the most common form), shaped by the restitution narrative; 'transcendent hope', shaped by the quest narrative; and 'despair' or loss of any kind of hope, shaped by the chaos narrative. The implications of this dynamic process for their identity reconstruction as disabled men are considered.
Volume (Year): 61 (2005)
Issue (Month): 5 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/315/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Del Vecchio Good, Mary-Jo & Munakata, Tseunetsugu & Kobayashi, Yasuki & Mattingly, Cheryl & Good, Byron J., 1994. "Oncology and narrative time," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 855-862, March.
- Little, Miles & Sayers, Emma-Jane, 2004. "While there's life ...: hope and the experience of cancer," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 59(6), pages 1329-1337, September.
- Ezzy, Douglas, 2000. "Illness narratives: time, hope and HIV," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 50(5), pages 605-617, March.
- Crossley, Michele L., 2003. "'Let me explain': narrative emplotment and one patient's experience of oral cancer," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 439-448, February.
- Nekolaichuk, Cheryl L. & Jevne, Ronna F. & Maguire, Thomas O., 1999. "Structuring the meaning of hope in health and illness," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 48(5), pages 591-605, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:socmed:v:61:y:2005:i:5:p:1095-1105. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.