Simultaneous control of production, repair/replacement and preventive maintenance of deteriorating manufacturing systems
This paper presents a method to find the optimal production, repair/replacement and preventive maintenance policies for a degraded manufacturing system. The system is subject to random machine failures and repairs. The status of the system is deemed to degrade with repair activities. When a failure occurs, the machine is either repaired or replaced, and a replacement action renews the machine, while a repair action brings it to a degraded operational state, with the next repair time increasing as the number of repairs increases as well. A preventive maintenance action is considered in order to improve the reliability of the machine, thereby reducing the amount of disruptions caused by machine failures. The decision variables are the production rate, the preventive maintenance rate and the repair/replacement switching policy upon machine failure. The objective of the study is to find the decision variables that minimize the overall cost, including repair, replacement, preventive maintenance, inventory holding and backlog costs over an infinite planning horizon. The proposed model is based on a semi-Markov decision process, and the stochastic dynamic programming method is used to obtain the optimality conditions. A numerical example is given to illustrate the proposed model, and a sensitivity analysis is considered in order to confirm the structure of the control policy and to illustrate the usefulness of the proposed approach.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dimitrakos, T.D. & Kyriakidis, E.G., 2008. "A semi-Markov decision algorithm for the maintenance of a production system with buffer capacity and continuous repair times," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 752-762, February.
- Kijima, Masaaki & Morimura, Hidenori & Suzuki, Yasusuke, 1988. "Periodical replacement problem without assuming minimal repair," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 194-203, November.
- Dehayem Nodem, F.I. & Kenne, J.P. & Gharbi, A., 2009. "Hierarchical decision making in production and repair/replacement planning with imperfect repairs under uncertainties," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 198(1), pages 173-189, October.
- Gharbi, A. & Kenne, J.-P. & Beit, M., 2007. "Optimal safety stocks and preventive maintenance periods in unreliable manufacturing systems," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 107(2), pages 422-434, June.
- Love, C. E. & Zhang, Z. G. & Zitron, M. A. & Guo, R., 2000. "A discrete semi-Markov decision model to determine the optimal repair/replacement policy under general repairs," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 125(2), pages 398-409, September.
- Makis, Viliam & Jardine, Andrew K. S., 1993. "A note on optimal replacement policy under general repair," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 75-82, August.
- Liao, Gwo-Liang, 2007. "Optimal production correction and maintenance policy for imperfect process," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 182(3), pages 1140-1149, November.
- Song, Dong-Ping, 2009. "Production and preventive maintenance control in a stochastic manufacturing system," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 119(1), pages 101-111, May.
- Kyriakidis, E.G. & Dimitrakos, T.D., 2006. "Optimal preventive maintenance of a production system with an intermediate buffer," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 168(1), pages 86-99, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:134:y:2011:i:1:p:271-282. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.