Failure of the index theorem in an incomplete market economy
Recently, it was proved that the index of an economy with incomplete real asset markets is typically +1 when the degree of incompleteness, which is defined as the difference between the number of states and the number of securities, is an even number. This paper considers the case where the degree of incompleteness is an odd number and proves that any odd number can be realized as the index of such an economy.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Demarzo, Peter M. & Eaves, B. Curtis, 1996. "Computing equilibria of GEI by relocalization on a Grassmann manifold," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 479-497.
- Momi, Takeshi, 2003. "The index theorem for a GEI economy when the degree of incompleteness is even," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3-4), pages 273-297, June.
- Philippe Bich, 2006. "On the orientability of the asset equilibrium manifold," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00287677, HAL.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu & Whinston, Michael D. & Green, Jerry R., 1995. "Microeconomic Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195102680, March.
- Geanakoplos, J D & Polemarchakis, H M, 1980. "On the Disaggregation of Excess Demand Functions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(2), pages 315-31, March.
- Bich, Philippe, 2006. "On the orientability of the asset equilibrium manifold," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/6111, Paris Dauphine University.
- Momi, Takeshi, 2010. "Excess demand function around critical prices in incomplete markets," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 293-302, May.
- Brown, Donald J & DeMarzo, Peter M & Eaves, B Curtis, 1996. "Computing Equilibria When Asset Markets Are Incomplete," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(1), pages 1-27, January.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00287677 is not listed on IDEAS
- Dierker, Egbert, 1972. "Two Remarks on the Number of Equilibria of an Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 40(5), pages 951-53, September.
- Bottazzi, Jean-Marc & Hens, Thorsten, 1996. "Excess Demand Functions and Incomplete Markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 49-63, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:mateco:v:48:y:2012:i:6:p:437-444. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.