Benchmarking for fisheries governance
The paper develops a benchmarking framework to improve fisheries governance and promote resilient ecosystems and profitable fisheries. The benchmarking includes five key components: accountability, transparency, incentives, risk assessment and management; and adaptability. Collectively, these factors provide a framework to benchmark and improve fisheries governance. Initial findings from benchmarking in two of Australia's Commonwealth fisheries indicate that the framework provides an important tool to help overcome the underlying causes of unsustainability in capture fisheries--poor and/or ineffective fisheries governance.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tom Kompas & Tuong Nhu Che & R. Quentin Grafton, 2004.
"Technical efficiency effects of input controls: evidence from Australia's banana prawn fishery,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(15), pages 1631-1641.
- Tom Kompas & Tuong Nhu Che & R. Quentin Grafton, 2003. "Technical Efficiency Effects of Input Controls: Evidence from Australia's Banana Prawn Fishery," Economics and Environment Network Working Papers 0304, Australian National University, Economics and Environment Network.
- Tom Kompas & Tuong Nhu Che & R. Quentin Grafton, 2003. "Technical efficiency effects of input controls: evidence from Australia's banana prawn fishery," International and Development Economics Working Papers idec03-3, International and Development Economics.
- Sen, Sevaly & Raakjaer Nielsen, Jesper, 1996. "Fisheries co-management: a comparative analysis," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 405-418, September.
- Kevin J. Fox & R. Quentin Grafton & Tom Kompas & Tuong Nhu Che, 2003. "Productivity and capacity reduction: the case of a fishery," International and Development Economics Working Papers idec03-2, International and Development Economics.
- Lane, Daniel E. & Stephenson, Robert L., 2000. "Institutional arrangements for fisheries: alternate structures and impediments to change," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 385-393, September.
- González-Laxe, Fernando, 2005. "The precautionary principle in fisheries management," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 495-505, November.
- R. Quentin Grafton, 2000. "Governance of the Commons: A Role for the State?," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 76(4), pages 504-517.
- Grafton, Quentin R. & Arnason, Ragnar & Bjorndal, Trond & Campbell, David & Campbell, Harry F. & Clark, Colin W. & Connor, Robin & Dupont, Diane P. & Hannesson, Rognvaldur & Hillborn, Ray & Kirkley, J, 2006.
"Incentive-Based Approaches to Sustainable Fisheries,"
Staff General Research Papers
12766, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- R. Quentin Grafton & Ragnar Arnason & Trond Bjorndal & David Campbell & Harry F. Campbell & Colin W. Clark & Robin Connor & Diane P. Dupont & Rognvaldur Hannesson & Ray Hilborn & James E. Kirkley & To, 2005. "Incentive-based approaches to sustainable fisheries," Economics and Environment Network Working Papers 0508, Australian National University, Economics and Environment Network.
- Daw, Tim & Gray, Tim, 2005. "Fisheries science and sustainability in international policy: a study of failure in the European Union's Common Fisheries Policy," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 189-197, May.
- Utne, Ingrid Bouwer, 2006. "Systems engineering principles in fisheries management," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 624-634, November.
- Jentoft, Svein, 2000. "The community: a missing link of fisheries management," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 53-60, January.
- Foster, Elizabeth & Haward, Marcus & Coffen-Smout, Scott, 2005. "Implementing integrated oceans management: Australia's south east regional marine plan (SERMP) and Canada's eastern Scotian shelf integrated management (ESSIM) initiative," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 391-405, September.
- Jentoft, Svein, 1989. "Fisheries co-management , : Delegating government responsibility to fishermen's organizations," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 137-154, April.
- Pearse, Peter H. & Walters, Carl J., 1992. "Harvesting regulation under quota management systems for ocean fisheries : Decision making in the face of natural variability, weak information, risks and conflicting incentives," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 167-182, May.
- Holland, Dan & Schnier, Kurt E., 2006. "Individual habitat quotas for fisheries," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 72-92, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:marpol:v:31:y:2007:i:4:p:470-479. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.