Wishartness and independence of matrix quadratic forms in a normal random matrix
Let Y be an nxp multivariate normal random matrix with general covariance [Sigma]Y. The general covariance [Sigma]Y of Y means that the collection of all np elements in Y has an arbitrary npxnp covariance matrix. A set of general, succinct and verifiable necessary and sufficient conditions is established for matrix quadratic forms Y'WiY's with the symmetric Wi's to be an independent family of random matrices distributed as Wishart distributions. Moreover, a set of general necessary and sufficient conditions is obtained for matrix quadratic forms Y'WiY's to be an independent family of random matrices distributed as noncentral Wishart distributions. Some usual versions of Cochran's theorem are presented as the special cases of these results.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 99 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Masaro, Joe & Wong, Chi Song, 2003. "Wishart distributions associated with matrix quadratic forms," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 85(1), pages 1-9, April.
- Mathew, Thomas, 1989. "MANOVA in the multivariate components of variance model," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 30-38, April.
- Mathew, Thomas & Nordström, Kenneth, 1997. "Wishart and Chi-Square Distributions Associated with Matrix Quadratic Forms," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 129-143, April.
- Wong, C. S. & Wang, T. H., 1993. "Multivariate Versions of Cochran's Theorems II," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 146-159, January.
- Wong, Chi Song & Masaro, Joe & Wang, Tonghui, 1991. "Multivariate versions of Cochran's theorems," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 154-174, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jmvana:v:99:y:2008:i:3:p:555-571. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.