Wishartness and independence of matrix quadratic forms in a normal random matrix
Let Y be an nxp multivariate normal random matrix with general covariance [Sigma]Y. The general covariance [Sigma]Y of Y means that the collection of all np elements in Y has an arbitrary npxnp covariance matrix. A set of general, succinct and verifiable necessary and sufficient conditions is established for matrix quadratic forms Y'WiY's with the symmetric Wi's to be an independent family of random matrices distributed as Wishart distributions. Moreover, a set of general necessary and sufficient conditions is obtained for matrix quadratic forms Y'WiY's to be an independent family of random matrices distributed as noncentral Wishart distributions. Some usual versions of Cochran's theorem are presented as the special cases of these results.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 99 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Masaro, Joe & Wong, Chi Song, 2003. "Wishart distributions associated with matrix quadratic forms," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 85(1), pages 1-9, April.
- Wong, C. S. & Wang, T. H., 1993. "Multivariate Versions of Cochran's Theorems II," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 146-159, January.
- Wong, Chi Song & Masaro, Joe & Wang, Tonghui, 1991. "Multivariate versions of Cochran's theorems," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 154-174, October.
- Mathew, Thomas, 1989. "MANOVA in the multivariate components of variance model," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 30-38, April.
- Mathew, Thomas & Nordström, Kenneth, 1997. "Wishart and Chi-Square Distributions Associated with Matrix Quadratic Forms," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 129-143, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jmvana:v:99:y:2008:i:3:p:555-571. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.