Stein's phenomenon in estimation of means restricted to a polyhedral convex cone
This paper treats the problem of estimating the restricted means of normal distributions with a known variance, where the means are restricted to a polyhedral convex cone which includes various restrictions such as positive orthant, simple order, tree order and umbrella order restrictions. In the context of the simultaneous estimation of the restricted means, it is of great interest to investigate decision-theoretic properties of the generalized Bayes estimator against the uniform prior distribution over the polyhedral convex cone. In this paper, the generalized Bayes estimator is shown to be minimax. It is also proved that it is admissible in the one- or two-dimensional case, but is improved on by a shrinkage estimator in the three- or more-dimensional case. This means that the so-called Stein phenomenon on the minimax generalized Bayes estimator can be extended to the case where the means are restricted to the polyhedral convex cone. The risk behaviors of the estimators are investigated through Monte Carlo simulation, and it is revealed that the shrinkage estimator has a substantial risk reduction.
Volume (Year): 99 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Karlin, Samuel & Rinott, Yosef, 1980. "Classes of orderings of measures and related correlation inequalities II. Multivariate reverse rule distributions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 499-516, December.
- Hartigan, J. A., 2004. "Uniform priors on convex sets improve risk," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 67(4), pages 285-288, May.
- Tatsuya Kubokawa, 2004. "Minimaxity in Estimation of Restricted Parameters," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-270, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Karlin, Samuel & Rinott, Yosef, 1980. "Classes of orderings of measures and related correlation inequalities. I. Multivariate totally positive distributions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 467-498, December.
- Berry, J. Calvin, 1990. "Minimax estimation of a bounded normal mean vector," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 130-139, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jmvana:v:99:y:2008:i:1:p:141-164. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.