Parameter estimation of selfsimilarity exponents
The characteristic feature of operator selfsimilar stochastic processes is that a linear rescaling in time is equal in the sense of distributions to a linear operator rescaling in space, which in turn is characterized by the selfsimilarity exponent. The growth behaviour of such processes in any radial direction is determined by the real parts of the eigenvalues of the selfsimilarity exponent. We extend an estimation method of Meerschaert and Scheffler [M.M. Meerschaert, H.-P. Scheffler, Moment estimator for random vectors with heavy tails, J. Multivariate Anal. 71 (1999) 145-159, M.M. Meerschaert, H.-P. Scheffler, Portfolio modeling with heavy tailed random vectors, in: S.T. Rachev (Ed.), Handbook of Heavy Tailed Distributions in Finance, Elsevier Science B.V., Amsterdam, 2003, pp. 595-640] to be applicable for estimating the real parts of the eigenvalues of the selfsimilarity exponent and corresponding spectral directions given by the eigenvectors. More generally, the results are applied to operator semi-selfsimilar processes, which obey a weaker scaling property, and to certain Ornstein-Uhlenbeck type processes connected to operator semi-selfsimilar processes via Lamperti's transformation.
Volume (Year): 99 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maejima, Makoto & Sato, Ken-iti & Watanabe, Toshiro, 2000. "Distributions of selfsimilar and semi-selfsimilar processes with independent increments," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 47(4), pages 395-401, May.
- Yamazato, Makoto, 1983. "Absolute continuity of operator-self-decomposable distributions on Rd," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 550-560, December.
- Jeanblanc, M. & Pitman, J. & Yor, M., 0. "Self-similar processes with independent increments associated with Lévy and Bessel processes," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 100(1-2), pages 223-231, July.
- Meerschaert, Mark M. & Scheffler, Hans-Peter, 1999. "Moment Estimator for Random Vectors with Heavy Tails," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 145-159, October.
- Wolfe, Stephen James, 1983. "Continuity properties of decomposable probability measures on euclidean spaces," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 534-538, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jmvana:v:99:y:2008:i:1:p:117-140. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.