On a resampling approach for tests on the number of clusters with mixture model-based clustering of tissue samples
We consider the problem of assessing the number of clusters in a limited number of tissue samples containing gene expressions for possibly several thousands of genes. It is proposed to use a normal mixture model-based approach to the clustering of the tissue samples. One advantage of this approach is that the question on the number of clusters in the data can be formulated in terms of a test on the smallest number of components in the mixture model compatible with the data. This test can be carried out on the basis of the likelihood ratio test statistic, using resampling to assess its null distribution. The effectiveness of this approach is demonstrated on simulated data and on some microarray datasets, as considered previously in the bioinformatics literature.
Volume (Year): 90 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Huber Wolfgang & von Heydebreck Anja & Sueltmann Holger & Poustka Annemarie & Vingron Martin, 2003. "Parameter estimation for the calibration and variance stabilization of microarray data," Statistical Applications in Genetics and Molecular Biology, De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-24, April.
- Allison, David B. & Gadbury, Gary L. & Heo, Moonseong & Fernandez, Jose R. & Lee, Cheol-Koo & Prolla, Tomas A. & Weindruch, Richard, 2002. "A mixture model approach for the analysis of microarray gene expression data," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 1-20, March.
- Coleman, Dan & Dong, Xioapeng & Hardin, Johanna & Rocke, David M. & Woodruff, David L., 1999. "Some computational issues in cluster analysis with no a priori metric," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 1-11, July.
- McLachlan, G. J. & Peel, D. & Bean, R. W., 2003. "Modelling high-dimensional data by mixtures of factor analyzers," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-4), pages 379-388, January.
- J. Hartigan, 1985. "Statistical theory in clustering," Journal of Classification, Springer;The Classification Society, vol. 2(1), pages 63-76, December.
- Robert Tibshirani & Guenther Walther & Trevor Hastie, 2001. "Estimating the number of clusters in a data set via the gap statistic," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 63(2), pages 411-423.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jmvana:v:90:y:2004:i:1:p:90-105. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.