Efficient Hellinger distance estimates for semiparametric models
Minimum distance techniques have become increasingly important tools for solving statistical estimation and inference problems. In particular, the successful application of the Hellinger distance approach to fully parametric models is well known. The corresponding optimal estimators, known as minimum Hellinger distance estimators, achieve efficiency at the model density and simultaneously possess excellent robustness properties. For statistical models that are semiparametric, in that they have a potentially infinite dimensional unknown nuisance parameter, minimum distance methods have not been fully studied. In this paper, we extend the Hellinger distance approach to general semiparametric models and study minimum Hellinger distance estimators for semiparametric models. Asymptotic properties such as consistency, asymptotic normality, efficiency and adaptivity of the proposed estimators are investigated. Small sample and robustness properties of the proposed estimators are also examined using a Monte Carlo study. Two real data examples are analyzed as well.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 107 (2012)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zudi Lu & Yer Van Hui & Andy H. Lee, 2003. "Minimum Hellinger Distance Estimation for Finite Mixtures of Poisson Regression Models and Its Applications," Biometrics, The International Biometric Society, vol. 59(4), pages 1016-1026, December.
- Sriram, T. N. & Vidyashankar, A. N., 2000. "Minimum Hellinger distance estimation for supercritical Galton-Watson processes," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 50(4), pages 331-342, December.
- Ayanendranath Basu & Bruce Lindsay, 1994. "Minimum disparity estimation for continuous models: Efficiency, distributions and robustness," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer;The Institute of Statistical Mathematics, vol. 46(4), pages 683-705, December.
- Wu, Jingjing & Karunamuni, Rohana & Zhang, Biao, 2010. "Minimum Hellinger distance estimation in a two-sample semiparametric model," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 101(5), pages 1102-1122, May.
- Laurent Bordes & Céline Delmas & Pierre Vandekerkhove, 2006. "Semiparametric Estimation of a Two-component Mixture Model where One Component is known," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 33(4), pages 733-752.
- Murphy, S. A. & Van Der Vaart, A. W., 1996. "Likelihood Inference in the Errors-in-Variables Model," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 81-108, October.
- Woo, Mi-Ja & Sriram, T.N., 2007. "Robust estimation of mixture complexity for count data," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(9), pages 4379-4392, May.
- Takada, Teruko, 2009. "Simulated minimum Hellinger distance estimation of stochastic volatility models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(6), pages 2390-2403, April.
- Karlis, Dimitris & Xekalaki, Evdokia, 1998. "Minimum Hellinger distance estimation for Poisson mixtures," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 81-103, November.
- Woo, Mi-Ja & Sriram, T.N., 2006. "Robust Estimation of Mixture Complexity," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 101, pages 1475-1486, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jmvana:v:107:y:2012:i:c:p:1-23. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.