Sparse estimation in functional linear regression
As a useful tool in functional data analysis, the functional linear regression model has become increasingly common and been studied extensively in recent years. In this paper, we consider a sparse functional linear regression model which is generated by a finite number of basis functions in an expansion of the coefficient function. In this model, we do not specify how many and which basis functions enter the model, thus it is not like a typical parametric model where predictor variables are pre-specified. We study a general framework that gives various procedures which are successful in identifying the basis functions that enter the model, and also estimating the resulting regression coefficients in one-step. We adopt the idea of variable selection in the linear regression setting where one adds a weighted L1 penalty to the traditional least squares criterion. We show that the procedures in our general framework are consistent in the sense of selecting the model correctly, and that they enjoy the oracle property, meaning that the resulting estimators of the coefficient function have asymptotically the same properties as the oracle estimator which uses knowledge of the underlying model. We investigate and compare several methods within our general framework, via a simulation study. Also, we apply the methods to the Canadian weather data.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 105 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wang, Hansheng & Leng, Chenlei, 2007. "Unified LASSO Estimation by Least Squares Approximation," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 102, pages 1039-1048, September.
- Hansheng Wang & Runze Li & Chih-Ling Tsai, 2007. "Tuning parameter selectors for the smoothly clipped absolute deviation method," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 94(3), pages 553-568.
- Hansheng Wang & Bo Li & Chenlei Leng, 2009. "Shrinkage tuning parameter selection with a diverging number of parameters," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 71(3), pages 671-683.
- Fan J. & Li R., 2001. "Variable Selection via Nonconcave Penalized Likelihood and its Oracle Properties," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 96, pages 1348-1360, December.
- Cardot, Hervé & Ferraty, Frédéric & Sarda, Pascal, 1999. "Functional linear model," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 11-22, October.
- Zou, Hui, 2006. "The Adaptive Lasso and Its Oracle Properties," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 101, pages 1418-1429, December.
- James, Gareth M. & Silverman, Bernard W., 2005. "Functional Adaptive Model Estimation," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 565-576, June.
- Yuhong Yang, 2005. "Can the strengths of AIC and BIC be shared? A conflict between model indentification and regression estimation," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 92(4), pages 937-950, December.
- Peter Hall & You-Jun Yang, 2010. "Ordering and selecting components in multivariate or functional data linear prediction," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 72(1), pages 93-110.
- Cardot, Hervé & Johannes, Jan, 2010. "Thresholding projection estimators in functional linear models," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 101(2), pages 395-408, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jmvana:v:105:y:2012:i:1:p:1-17. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.