Some notes on extremal discriminant analysis
Classical discriminant analysis focusses on Gaussian and nonparametric models where in the second case the unknown densities are replaced by kernel densities based on the training sample. In the present article we assume that it suffices to base the classification on exceedances above higher thresholds, which can be interpreted as observations in a conditional framework. Therefore, the statistical modeling of truncated distributions is merely required. In this context, a nonparametric modeling is not adequate because the kernel method is inaccurate in the upper tail region. Yet one may deal with truncated parametric distributions like the Gaussian ones. Our primary aim is to replace truncated Gaussian distributions by appropriate generalized Pareto distributions and to explore properties and the relationship of discriminant functions in both models.
Volume (Year): 103 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Horrace, William C., 2005. "Some results on the multivariate truncated normal distribution," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 94(1), pages 209-221, May.
- Hüsler, Jürg & Reiss, Rolf-Dieter, 1989. "Maxima of normal random vectors: Between independence and complete dependence," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 283-286, February.
- Frick, Melanie & Reiss, Rolf-Dieter, 2010. "Limiting distributions of maxima under triangular schemes," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 101(10), pages 2346-2357, November.
- Hashorva, Enkelejd, 2006. "On the multivariate Hüsler-Reiss distribution attracting the maxima of elliptical triangular arrays," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 76(18), pages 2027-2035, December.
- Hashorva, Enkelejd, 2005. "Elliptical triangular arrays in the max-domain of attraction of Hüsler-Reiss distribution," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 125-135, April.
- Robert B. Avery, 1981. "Credit scoring models with discriminant analysis and truncated samples," Research Papers in Banking and Financial Economics 54, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jmvana:v:103:y:2012:i:1:p:107-115. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.