A linear algebraic method for pricing temporary life annuities and insurance policies
We recast the valuation of annuities and life insurance contracts under mortality and interest rates, both of which are stochastic, as a problem of solving a system of linear equations with random perturbations. A sequence of uniform approximations is developed which allows for fast and accurate computation of expected values. Our reformulation of the valuation problem provides a general framework which can be employed to find insurance premiums and annuity values covering a wide class of stochastic models for mortality and interest rate processes. The proposed approach provides a computationally efficient alternative to Monte Carlo based valuation in pricing mortality-linked contingent claims.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Heath, David & Jarrow, Robert & Morton, Andrew, 1992. "Bond Pricing and the Term Structure of Interest Rates: A New Methodology for Contingent Claims Valuation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(1), pages 77-105, January.
- Yijia Lin & Samuel H. Cox, 2005. "Securitization of Mortality Risks in Life Annuities," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 72(2), pages 227-252.
- Milevsky, Moshe A. & David Promislow, S., 2001. "Mortality derivatives and the option to annuitise," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 299-318, December.
- Brouhns, Natacha & Denuit, Michel & Vermunt, Jeroen K., 2002. "A Poisson log-bilinear regression approach to the construction of projected lifetables," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 373-393, December.
- Schrager, David F., 2006. "Affine stochastic mortality," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 81-97, February.
- Gaillardetz, Patrice, 2008. "Valuation of life insurance products under stochastic interest rates," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 212-226, February.
- Cairns, Andrew J. G., 1995. "The Present Value of a Series of Cashflows: Convergence in a Random Environment," ASTIN Bulletin: The Journal of the International Actuarial Association, Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(02), pages 81-94, November.
- Olivieri, Annamaria & Pitacco, Ermanno, 2008. "Assessing the cost of capital for longevity risk," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 1013-1021, June.
- Dahl, Mikkel, 2004. "Stochastic mortality in life insurance: market reserves and mortality-linked insurance contracts," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 113-136, August.
- Date, P. & Mamon, R. & Wang, I.C., 2007. "Valuation of cash flows under random rates of interest: A linear algebraic approach," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 84-95, July.
- Andrew J. G. Cairns & David Blake & Kevin Dowd, 2006. "A Two-Factor Model for Stochastic Mortality with Parameter Uncertainty: Theory and Calibration," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 73(4), pages 687-718.
- Hamilton, James D., 1988. "Rational-expectations econometric analysis of changes in regime : An investigation of the term structure of interest rates," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 385-423.
- Burnecki, Krzysztof & Marciniuk, Agnieszka & Weron, Aleksander, 2003. "Annuities under random rates of interest--revisited," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 457-460, July.
- Zaks, Abraham, 2001. "Annuities under random rates of interest," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 1-11, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:insuma:v:47:y:2010:i:1:p:98-104. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.