A linear algebraic method for pricing temporary life annuities and insurance policies
We recast the valuation of annuities and life insurance contracts under mortality and interest rates, both of which are stochastic, as a problem of solving a system of linear equations with random perturbations. A sequence of uniform approximations is developed which allows for fast and accurate computation of expected values. Our reformulation of the valuation problem provides a general framework which can be employed to find insurance premiums and annuity values covering a wide class of stochastic models for mortality and interest rate processes. The proposed approach provides a computationally efficient alternative to Monte Carlo based valuation in pricing mortality-linked contingent claims.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gaillardetz, Patrice, 2008. "Valuation of life insurance products under stochastic interest rates," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 212-226, February.
- Zaks, Abraham, 2001. "Annuities under random rates of interest," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 1-11, February.
- Brouhns, Natacha & Denuit, Michel & Vermunt, Jeroen K., 2002. "A Poisson log-bilinear regression approach to the construction of projected lifetables," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 373-393, December.
- Yijia Lin & Samuel H. Cox, 2005. "Securitization of Mortality Risks in Life Annuities," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 72(2), pages 227-252.
- Milevsky, Moshe A. & David Promislow, S., 2001. "Mortality derivatives and the option to annuitise," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 299-318, December.
- Andrew J. G. Cairns & David Blake & Kevin Dowd, 2006. "A Two-Factor Model for Stochastic Mortality with Parameter Uncertainty: Theory and Calibration," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 73(4), pages 687-718.
- Burnecki, Krzysztof & Marciniuk, Agnieszka & Weron, Aleksander, 2003. "Annuities under random rates of interest--revisited," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 457-460, July.
- Dahl, Mikkel, 2004. "Stochastic mortality in life insurance: market reserves and mortality-linked insurance contracts," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 113-136, August.
- Hamilton, James D., 1988. "Rational-expectations econometric analysis of changes in regime : An investigation of the term structure of interest rates," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 385-423.
- Olivieri, Annamaria & Pitacco, Ermanno, 2008. "Assessing the cost of capital for longevity risk," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 1013-1021, June.
- Schrager, David F., 2006. "Affine stochastic mortality," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 81-97, February.
- Heath, David & Jarrow, Robert & Morton, Andrew, 1992. "Bond Pricing and the Term Structure of Interest Rates: A New Methodology for Contingent Claims Valuation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(1), pages 77-105, January.
- Date, P. & Mamon, R. & Wang, I.C., 2007. "Valuation of cash flows under random rates of interest: A linear algebraic approach," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 84-95, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:insuma:v:47:y:2010:i:1:p:98-104. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.