A linear algebraic method for pricing temporary life annuities and insurance policies
We recast the valuation of annuities and life insurance contracts under mortality and interest rates, both of which are stochastic, as a problem of solving a system of linear equations with random perturbations. A sequence of uniform approximations is developed which allows for fast and accurate computation of expected values. Our reformulation of the valuation problem provides a general framework which can be employed to find insurance premiums and annuity values covering a wide class of stochastic models for mortality and interest rate processes. The proposed approach provides a computationally efficient alternative to Monte Carlo based valuation in pricing mortality-linked contingent claims.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olivieri, Annamaria & Pitacco, Ermanno, 2008. "Assessing the cost of capital for longevity risk," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 1013-1021, June.
- Burnecki, Krzysztof & Marciniuk, Agnieszka & Weron, Aleksander, 2003. "Annuities under random rates of interest--revisited," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 457-460, July.
- Schrager, David F., 2006. "Affine stochastic mortality," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 81-97, February.
- Gaillardetz, Patrice, 2008. "Valuation of life insurance products under stochastic interest rates," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 212-226, February.
- Cairns, Andrew J. G., 1995. "The Present Value of a Series of Cashflows: Convergence in a Random Environment," ASTIN Bulletin: The Journal of the International Actuarial Association, Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(02), pages 81-94, November.
- Hamilton, James D., 1988. "Rational-expectations econometric analysis of changes in regime : An investigation of the term structure of interest rates," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 385-423.
- David Heath & Robert Jarrow & Andrew Morton, 2008.
"Bond Pricing And The Term Structure Of Interest Rates: A New Methodology For Contingent Claims Valuation,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,in: Financial Derivatives Pricing Selected Works of Robert Jarrow, chapter 13, pages 277-305
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Heath, David & Jarrow, Robert & Morton, Andrew, 1992. "Bond Pricing and the Term Structure of Interest Rates: A New Methodology for Contingent Claims Valuation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(1), pages 77-105, January.
- Dahl, Mikkel, 2004. "Stochastic mortality in life insurance: market reserves and mortality-linked insurance contracts," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 113-136, August.
- Date, P. & Mamon, R. & Wang, I.C., 2007. "Valuation of cash flows under random rates of interest: A linear algebraic approach," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 84-95, July.
- Zaks, Abraham, 2001. "Annuities under random rates of interest," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 1-11, February.
- Andrew J. G. Cairns & David Blake & Kevin Dowd, 2006. "A Two-Factor Model for Stochastic Mortality with Parameter Uncertainty: Theory and Calibration," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 73(4), pages 687-718.
- Yijia Lin & Samuel H. Cox, 2005. "Securitization of Mortality Risks in Life Annuities," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 72(2), pages 227-252.
- Brouhns, Natacha & Denuit, Michel & Vermunt, Jeroen K., 2002. "A Poisson log-bilinear regression approach to the construction of projected lifetables," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 373-393, December.
- Milevsky, Moshe A. & David Promislow, S., 2001. "Mortality derivatives and the option to annuitise," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 299-318, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:insuma:v:47:y:2010:i:1:p:98-104. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.