Iterated tabu search for the circular open dimension problem
This paper investigates the circular open dimension problem (CODP), which consists of packing a set of circles of known radii into a strip of fixed width and unlimited length without overlapping. The objective is to minimize the length of the strip. In this paper, CODP is solved by a series of sub-problems, each corresponding to a fixed strip length. For each sub-problem, an iterated tabu search approach, named ITS, is proposed. ITS starts from a randomly generated solution and attempts to gain improvements by a tabu search procedure. After that, if the obtained solution is not feasible, a perturbation operator is subsequently employed to reconstruct the incumbent solution and an acceptance criterion is implemented to determine whether or not accept the perturbed solution. As a supplementary method, the length of the strip is determined in monotonously decreasing way, with the aid of some post-processing techniques. The search terminates and returns the best found solution after the allowed computation time has been elapsed. Computational experiments based on numerous well-known benchmark instances show that ITS produces quite competitive results, with respect to the best known results, while the computational time remains reasonable for each instance.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lü, Zhipeng & Hao, Jin-Kao, 2010. "Adaptive Tabu Search for course timetabling," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 200(1), pages 235-244, January.
- Wascher, Gerhard & Hau[ss]ner, Heike & Schumann, Holger, 2007. "An improved typology of cutting and packing problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 183(3), pages 1109-1130, December.
- George, John A. & George, Jennifer M. & Lamar, Bruce W., 1995. "Packing different-sized circles into a rectangular container," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 84(3), pages 693-712, August.
- T. Kubach & A. Bortfeldt & H. Gehring, 2009. "Parallel greedy algorithms for packing unequal circles into a strip or a rectangle," Central European Journal of Operations Research, Springer;Slovak Society for Operations Research;Hungarian Operational Research Society;Czech Society for Operations Research;Österr. Gesellschaft für Operations Research (ÖGOR);Slovenian Society Informatika - Section for Operational Research;Croatian Operational Research Society, vol. 17(4), pages 461-477, December.
- Wang, Huaiqing & Huang, Wenqi & Zhang, Quan & Xu, Dongming, 2002. "An improved algorithm for the packing of unequal circles within a larger containing circle," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 440-453, September.
- A. Grosso & A. Jamali & M. Locatelli & F. Schoen, 2010. "Solving the problem of packing equal and unequal circles in a circular container," Journal of Global Optimization- An International Journal Dealing with Theoretical and Computational Aspects of Seeking Global Optima and Their Applications in Science, Management and Engineering, Springer, vol. 47(1), pages 63-81, May.
- Birgin, E. G. & Martinez, J. M. & Ronconi, D. P., 2005. "Optimizing the packing of cylinders into a rectangular container: A nonlinear approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 160(1), pages 19-33, January.
- James, Tabitha & Rego, Cesar & Glover, Fred, 2009. "A cooperative parallel tabu search algorithm for the quadratic assignment problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 195(3), pages 810-826, June.
- Castillo, Ignacio & Kampas, Frank J. & Pintér, János D., 2008. "Solving circle packing problems by global optimization: Numerical results and industrial applications," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 191(3), pages 786-802, December.
- Huang, Wenqi & Ye, Tao, 2011. "Global optimization method for finding dense packings of equal circles in a circle," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 210(3), pages 474-481, May.
- I Al-Mudahka & M Hifi & R M'Hallah, 2011. "Packing circles in the smallest circle: an adaptive hybrid algorithm," Journal of the Operational Research Society, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 62(11), pages 1917-1930, November.
- Hifi, Mhand & Paschos, Vangelis Th. & Zissimopoulos, Vassilis, 2004. "A simulated annealing approach for the circular cutting problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 159(2), pages 430-448, December.
- Fraser, Hamish J. & George, John A., 1994. "Integrated container loading software for pulp and paper industry," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 77(3), pages 466-474, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:225:y:2013:i:2:p:236-243. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.