Capacity allocation problem with random demands for the rail container carrier
In this paper, we consider the formulation and heuristic algorithm for the capacity allocation problem with random demands in the rail container transportation. The problem is formulated as the stochastic integer programming model taking into account matches in supply and demand of rail container transportation. A heuristic algorithm for the stochastic integer programming model is proposed. The solution to the model is found by maximizing the expected total profit over the possible control decisions under the uncertainty of demands. Finally, we give numerical experiments to demonstrate the efficiency of the heuristic algorithm.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Balev, Stefan & Yanev, Nicola & Freville, Arnaud & Andonov, Rumen, 2008. "A dynamic programming based reduction procedure for the multidimensional 0-1 knapsack problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 186(1), pages 63-76, April.
- Yoshiaki Toyoda, 1975. "A Simplified Algorithm for Obtaining Approximate Solutions to Zero-One Programming Problems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 21(12), pages 1417-1427, August.
- N. Lesca, 2010. "Introduction," Post-Print halshs-00640602, HAL.
- Macharis, C. & Bontekoning, Y. M., 2004. "Opportunities for OR in intermodal freight transport research: A review," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 153(2), pages 400-416, March.
- Wilbaut, Christophe & Salhi, Saïd & Hanafi, Saïd, 2009. "An iterative variable-based fixation heuristic for the 0-1 multidimensional knapsack problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 199(2), pages 339-348, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:217:y:2012:i:1:p:214-221. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.