Integrated cellular manufacturing systems design with production planning and dynamic system reconfiguration
This paper presents and analyzes a comprehensive model for the design of cellular manufacturing systems (CMS). A recurring theme in research is a piecemeal approach when formulating CMS models. In this paper, the proposed model, to the best of the authors' knowledge, is the most comprehensive one to date with a more integrated approach to CMS design, where production planning and system reconfiguration decisions are incorporated. Such a CMS model has not been proposed before and it features the presence of alternate process routings, operation sequence, duplicate machines, machine capacity and lot splitting. The developed model is a mixed integer non-linear program. Linearization procedures are proposed to convert it into a linearized mixed integer programming formulation. Computational results are presented by solving some numerical examples, extracted from the existing literature, with the linearized formulation.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Caux, C. & Bruniaux, R. & Pierreval, H., 2000. "Cell formation with alternative process plans and machine capacity constraints: A new combined approach," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1-3), pages 279-284, March.
- Nsakanda, Aaron Luntala & Diaby, Moustapha & Price, Wilson L., 2006. "Hybrid genetic approach for solving large-scale capacitated cell formation problems with multiple routings," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 171(3), pages 1051-1070, June.
- Uddin, Muhammad Kutub & Shanker, Kripa, 2002. "Grouping of parts and machines in presence of alternative process routes by genetic algorithm," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(3), pages 219-228, April.
- Defersha, Fantahun M. & Chen, Mingyuan, 2006. "A comprehensive mathematical model for the design of cellular manufacturing systems," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 103(2), pages 767-783, October.
- Singh, N., 1993. "Design of cellular manufacturing systems: An invited review," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 69(3), pages 284-291, September.
- Venugopal, V. & Narendran, T. T., 1992. "Cell formation in manufacturing systems through simulated annealing: An experimental evaluation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(3), pages 409-422, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:192:y:2009:i:2:p:414-428. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.