A bi-objective generalized data envelopment analysis model and point-to-set mapping projection
This work introduces a bi-objective generalized data envelopment analysis (Bi-GDEA) model and defines its efficiency. We show the equivalence between the Bi-GDEA efficiency and the non-dominated solutions of the multi-objective programming problem defined on the production possibility set (PPS) and discuss the returns to scale under the Bi-GDEA model. The most essential contribution is that we further define a point-to-set mapping and the mapping projection of a decision making unit (DMU) on the frontier of the PPS under the Bi-GDEA model. We give an effective approach for the construction of the point-to-set-mapping projection which distinguishes our model from other non-radial models for simultaneously considering input and output. The Bi-GDEA model represents decision makers' specific preference on input and output and the point-to-set mapping projection provides decision makers with more possibility to determine different input and output alternatives when considering efficiency improvement. Numerical examples are employed for the illustration of the procedure of point-to-set mapping.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fukuyama, Hirofumi, 2000. "Returns to scale and scale elasticity in data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 125(1), pages 93-112, August.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna, 1985. " Nonparametric Cost Approach to Scale Efficiency," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 87(4), pages 594-604.
- Thanassoulis, E. & Dyson, R. G., 1992. "Estimating preferred target input-output levels using data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 80-97, January.
- Banker, Rajiv D. & Chang, Hsihui & Cooper, William W., 1996. "Equivalence and implementation of alternative methods for determining returns to scale in data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 89(3), pages 473-481, March.
- Yu, Gang & Wei, Quanling & Brockett, Patrick & Zhou, Li, 1996. "Construction of all DEA efficient surfaces of the production possibility set under the Generalized Data Envelopment Analysis Model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 95(3), pages 491-510, December.
- Wei, Quanling & Yu, Gang, 1997. "Analyzing properties of K-cones in the generalized data envelopment analysis model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 63-84, September.
- Sueyoshi, Toshiyuki & Sekitani, Kazuyuki, 2007. "Measurement of returns to scale using a non-radial DEA model: A range-adjusted measure approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 176(3), pages 1918-1946, February.
- Banker, Rajiv D. & Cooper, William W. & Seiford, Lawrence M. & Thrall, Robert M. & Zhu, Joe, 2004. "Returns to scale in different DEA models," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 154(2), pages 345-362, April.
- Seiford, Lawrence M. & Thrall, Robert M., 1990. "Recent developments in DEA : The mathematical programming approach to frontier analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 7-38.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Ole Olesen & N. Petersen, 2003. "Identification and Use of Efficient Faces and Facets in DEA," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 323-360, November.
- Seiford, Lawrence M. & Zhu, Joe, 1999. "An investigation of returns to scale in data envelopment analysis," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 1-11, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:190:y:2008:i:3:p:855-876. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.