Duration of debt overhang with two lender banks
This paper discusses the duration of the debt overhang with two lender banks. We model the problem as an infinite horizon game with two banks as players. In every period, each bank decides either to sell its loan exposure to the debtor country at the present secondary market price, or to wait and keep its exposure to the next period. Under the assumption of homogeneous price function and short length of periods, we show that the expected duration in the equilibrium becomes large when the degree of homogeneity is low, and tends to 1n 2/ 1n beta^2 (beta is the annual interest factor) as the degree of homogeneity approaches zero. This result implies that the lower bound for the duration is 4 years. We interpret it as a tendency for the debt overhang to last for a somewhat long time.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mamoru Kaneko & Jacek Prokop, 1993.
"A game theoretical approach to the international debt overhang,"
Journal of Economics,
Springer, vol. 58(1), pages 1-24, February.
- Mamoru Kaneko & Jacek Prokop, 1991. "A Game Theoretical Approach to the International Debt Overhang," Discussion Papers 945, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Jacek Prokop, 1998. "Dynamics of International Debt Overhang with Two Lender Banks," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 49(2), pages 119-137, 06.
- Prokop, J., 1991. "Dynamic of International Debt Overhang with two Lender Banks," Working papers 946, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Jacek Prokop, 1991. "Dynamics of International Debt Overhang with Two Lender Banks," Discussion Papers 946, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.