The compound class of extended Weibull power series distributions
We introduce a general method for obtaining more flexible new distributions by compounding the extended Weibull and power series distributions. The compounding procedure follows the same set-up carried out by Adamidis and Loukas (1998) and defines 68 new sub-models. The new class of generated distributions includes some well-known mixing distributions, such as the Weibull power series (Morais and Barreto-Souza, 2011) and exponential power series (Chahkandi and Ganjali, 2009) distributions. Some mathematical properties of the new class are studied including moments and the generating function. We provide the density function of the order statistics and their moments. The method of maximum likelihood is used for estimating the model parameters. Special distributions are investigated. We illustrate the usefulness of the new distributions by means of two applications to real data sets.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Louzada, Francisco & Roman, Mari & Cancho, Vicente G., 2011. "The complementary exponential geometric distribution: Model, properties, and a comparison with its counterpart," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 55(8), pages 2516-2524, August.
- Gauss Cordeiro & Josemar Rodrigues & Mário Castro, 2012. "The exponential COM-Poisson distribution," Statistical Papers, Springer, vol. 53(3), pages 653-664, August.
- Chahkandi, M. & Ganjali, M., 2009. "On some lifetime distributions with decreasing failure rate," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(12), pages 4433-4440, October.
- Chen, Zhenmin, 2000. "A new two-parameter lifetime distribution with bathtub shape or increasing failure rate function," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 155-161, August.
- Adamidis, K. & Loukas, S., 1998. "A lifetime distribution with decreasing failure rate," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 35-42, July.
- Barreto-Souza, Wagner & Cribari-Neto, Francisco, 2009. "A generalization of the exponential-Poisson distribution," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 79(24), pages 2493-2500, December.
- Morais, Alice Lemos & Barreto-Souza, Wagner, 2011. "A compound class of Weibull and power series distributions," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 1410-1425, March.
- Kus, Coskun, 2007. "A new lifetime distribution," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(9), pages 4497-4509, May.
- Cancho, Vicente G. & Louzada-Neto, Franscisco & Barriga, Gladys D.C., 2011. "The Poisson-exponential lifetime distribution," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 677-686, January.
- Cooner, Freda & Banerjee, Sudipto & Carlin, Bradley P. & Sinha, Debajyoti, 2007. "Flexible Cure Rate Modeling Under Latent Activation Schemes," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 102, pages 560-572, June.
- Carrasco, Jalmar M.F. & Ortega, Edwin M.M. & Cordeiro, Gauss M., 2008. "A generalized modified Weibull distribution for lifetime modeling," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 450-462, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:58:y:2013:i:c:p:352-367. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.