The [beta]-Birnbaum-Saunders distribution: An improved distribution for fatigue life modeling
Birnbaum and Saunders (1969a) introduced a probability distribution which is commonly used in reliability studies. For the first time, based on this distribution, the so-called [beta]-Birnbaum-Saunders distribution is proposed for fatigue life modeling. Various properties of the new model including expansions for the moments, moment generating function, mean deviations, density function of the order statistics and their moments are derived. We discuss maximum likelihood estimation of the model's parameters. The superiority of the new model is illustrated by means of three failure real data sets.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pescim, Rodrigo R. & Demétrio, Clarice G.B. & Cordeiro, Gauss M. & Ortega, Edwin M.M. & Urbano, Mariana R., 2010. "The beta generalized half-normal distribution," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(4), pages 945-957, April.
- Yousry Abdelkader, 2004. "Computing the moments of order statistics from nonidentically distributed Erlang variables," Statistical Papers, Springer, vol. 45(4), pages 563-570, October.
- Lemonte, Artur J. & Cribari-Neto, Francisco & Vasconcellos, Klaus L.P., 2007. "Improved statistical inference for the two-parameter Birnbaum-Saunders distribution," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(9), pages 4656-4681, May.
- Meintanis, Simos G., 2010. "Inference procedures for the Birnbaum-Saunders distribution and its generalizations," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 367-373, February.
- Wu, Jianrong & Wong, A. C. M., 2004. "Improved interval estimation for the two-parameter Birnbaum-Saunders distribution," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 47(4), pages 809-821, November.
- Kundu, Debasis & Kannan, Nandini & Balakrishnan, N., 2008. "On the hazard function of Birnbaum-Saunders distribution and associated inference," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(5), pages 2692-2702, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:55:y:2011:i:3:p:1445-1461. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.