Impacts of official development assistance on agricultural growth, savings and agricultural imports
This paper explores the links between development assistance, agricultural output growth and imports in 56 developing economies over the period 1974-1990. The empirical model treats agricultural growth and imports, savings and aid as endogenous. The analysis also accounts for differences in macroeconomic policies. The results show that aid had a positive impact on agricultural growth. A robust relationship exits between aid and agricultural imports consistent with the argument that aid helps industrialized countries through market expansion and strengthened trade ties.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dacy, Douglas C, 1975. "Foreign Aid, Government Consumption, Saving and Growth in Less-Developed Countries," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 85(339), pages 548-61, September.
- Ruttan, Vernon W, 1989.
"Why Foreign Economic Assistance?,"
Economic Development and Cultural Change,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 37(2), pages 411-24, January.
- Mosley, Paul, 1980. "Aid, Savings and Growth Revisited," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 42(2), pages 79-95, May.
- de Janvry, Alain & Sadoulet, Elisabeth, 1988. "The Conditions for Compatibility between Aid and Trade in Agriculture," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 37(1), pages 1-30, October.
- Levy, Victor, 1988. "Aid and growth in Sub-Saharan Africa: The recent experience," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1777-1795, November.
- Mikesell, Raymond F & Zinser, James E, 1973. "The Nature of the Savings Function in Developing Countries: A Survey of the Theoretical and Empirical Literature," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 11(1), pages 1-26, March.
- Lele, Uma & Goldsmith, Arthur A, 1989. "The Development of National Agricultural Research Capacity: India's Experience with the Rockefeller Foundation and Its Significance for Africa," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 37(2), pages 305-43, January.
- Houck, James P., 1986. "Foreign Agricultural Assistance: Ally Or Adversary," Staff Papers 13806, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Stoneman, Colin, 1975. "Foreign capital and economic growth," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 11-26, January.
- Massell, Benton F & Pearson, Scott R & Fitch, James B, 1972. "Foreign Exchange and Economic Development: An Empirical Study of Selected Latin American Countries," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 54(2), pages 208-12, May.
- Norton, George W. & Ortiz, Jaime & Pardey, Philip G., 1989.
"The Impact of Foreign Assistance on Agricultural Growth,"
232543, Virginia Tech, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Norton, George W & Ortiz, Jaime & Pardey, Philip G, 1992. "The Impact of Foreign Assistance on Agricultural Growth," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 40(4), pages 775-86, July.
- Papanek, Gustav F, 1972. "The Effect of Aid and other Resource Transfers on Savings and Growth in Less Developed Countries," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 82(327), pages 934-50, September.
- Papanek, Gustav F, 1973. "Aid, Foreign Private Investment, Savings, and Growth in Less Developed Countries," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(1), pages 120-30, Jan.-Feb..
- Kwabena Gyimah-Brempong, 1992. "Aid and economic growth in LDCs: Evidence from Sub-Saharan Africa," The Review of Black Political Economy, Springer;National Economic Association, vol. 20(3), pages 31-52, March.
- Weisskopf, Thomas E., 1972. "The impact of foreign capital inflow on domestic savings in underdeveloped countries," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 25-38, February.
- Griffin, Keith, 1970. "Foreign Capital, Domestic Savings and Economic Development," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 32(2), pages 99-112, May.
- Over, A Mead, Jr, 1975. " An Example of the Simultaneous-Equation Problem: A Note on "Foreign Assistance: Objectives and Consequences."," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 23(4), pages 751-56, July.
- Levy, Victor, 1987. "Does Concessionary Aid Lead to Higher Investment Rates in Low-Income Countries?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(1), pages 152-56, February.
- Gulati, Umesh C, 1978. "Effect of Capital Imports on Savings and Growth in Less Developed Countries," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 16(4), pages 563-69, October.
- Griffin, Keith B & Enos, J L, 1970. "Foreign Assistance: Objectives and Consequences," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 18(3), pages 313-27, April.
- Bachman, Kenneth Leroy & Paulino, Leonardo A., 1979. "Rapid food production growth in selected developing countries: a comparative analysis of underlying trends, 1961-76," Research reports 11, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:agecon:v:11:y:1994:i:2-3:p:99-110. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.