Value Relevance of Inflation-adjusted Equity and Income
This paper investigates the role incremental information content of inflation-adjusted data plays in explaining the market value of equity and stock returns on the Istanbul Stock Exchange (ISE). We show the effect of inflation accounting application on basic financial ratios, and we test the value relevance of inflation-adjusted and historical cost-based book value and earnings. The findings show that inflation adjustment affects financial ratios significantly, which may create different risk assessments for the selected firms. Furthermore, the results indicate that both inflation-adjusted and historical cost-based earnings and book values are significantly value relevant. The two sets of data are not to be used as substitutes, but, rather, they are complementary. For this reason, inflation-adjusted data should be required as supplementary data to the historical cost information rather than in place of historical cost data.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Archambault, Jeffrey J. & Archambault, Marie E., 1999. "A cross-national test of determinants of inflation accounting practices," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 189-207, 06.
- repec:bla:joares:v:29:y:1991:i:1:p:19-36 is not listed on IDEAS
- Beaver, William H. & Griffin, Paul A. & Landsman, Wayne R., 1982. "The incremental information content of replacement cost earnings," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 15-39, July.
- Ro, Byung T., 1980. "The adjustment of security returns to the disclosure of replacement cost accounting information," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 159-189, August.
- Sami, Heibatollah & Zhou, Haiyan, 2004. "A comparison of value relevance of accounting information in different segments of the Chinese stock market," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 403-427.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:accoun:v:44:y:2009:i:4:p:363-377. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.