La nouvelle désinflation compétitive européenne
Germany?s current economic strategy is a variant of the so-called ?competitive disinflation? that France pursued in the late 1980s?. It is but one in a large array of non-cooperative strategies that EU countries have individually chosen to implement since the beginning of the monetary unification process, for lack of adequate common institutions that could foster coordination. Because competitive devaluations are no longer possible within the Euro zone, member states resort to various modes of competitive disinflation (wage moderation, tax competition, social dumping, etc.). The question raised by Germany?s strategy, that mimics that of smaller countries, is its effectiveness: we show that the composition of German economic growth is very different from that of smaller European countries. We conclude by discussing to hypotheses that may motivate Germany?s current policy choices. JEL Codes: E01, F43, O52.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Romain Duval & Jørgen Elmeskov, 2005.
"The Effects of EMU on Structural Reforms in Labour and Product Markets,"
OECD Economics Department Working Papers
438, OECD Publishing.
- Duval, Romain & Elmeskov, Jørgen, 2006. "The effects of EMU on structural reforms in labour and product markets," Working Paper Series 0596, European Central Bank.
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/3531 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jérôme Creel & Thierry Latreille & Jacques Le Cacheux, 2002.
"Le Pacte de stabilité et les politiques budgétaires dans l'Union européenne,"
Revue de l'OFCE,
Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 0(5), pages 245-297.
- Jérôme Creel & Thierry Latreille & Jacques Le Cacheux, 2002. "Le pacte de stabilité et les politiques budgétaires dans l’Union Européenne," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/2088, Sciences Po.
- Henri Sterdyniak & Catherine Mathieu, 2004.
"Réformer le Pacte de stabilité : l'état du débat,"
0411019, EconWPA, revised 07 Dec 2004.
- Eloi Laurent & Jacques Le Cacheux, 2006.
"Integrity and Efficiency in the EU: The Case against the European economic constitution,"
Sciences Po publications
130, Sciences Po.
- Eloi Laurent & Jacques Le Cacheux, 2006. "Integrity and Efficiency in the EU: The Case against the European economic constitution," Working Papers hal-00972707, HAL.
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/2301 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/1783 is not listed on IDEAS
- Eloi Laurent & Jérôme Creel & Jacques Le Cacheux, 2005.
"Delegation in Inconsistency : the 'Lisbon Strategy' Record an an Institutional Failure,"
Sciences Po publications
2005-07, Sciences Po.
- Jerome Creel & Eloi Laurent & Jacques Le Cacheux, 2005. "Delegation in inconsistency: the Lisbon strategy record as an institutional failure," Documents de Travail de l'OFCE 2005-07, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Eloi Laurent & Jérôme Creel & Jacques Le Cacheux, 2005. "Delegation in Inconsistency : the 'Lisbon Strategy' Record an an Institutional Failure," Working Papers hal-00972772, HAL.
- Sébastien Jean, 2000. "Syndrome, miracle, modèle polder et autres spécificités néerlandaises," Working Papers 2000-12, CEPII research center.
- Creel, Jérôme, 2002. "The European Stability Pact and Feedback Policy Effects," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 17, pages 570-595.
- Catherine Bruno & Valérie Chauvin, 1998. "Les Pays-Bas : une société à flexibilité limitée," Revue de l'OFCE, Programme National Persée, vol. 64(1), pages 97-127.
- Jacques Le Cacheux, 2005. "Politiques de croissance en Europe. Un problème d'action collective," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 56(3), pages 705-713.
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/2088 is not listed on IDEAS
- Guillaume Gaulier & Amina Lahrèche-Révil & Isabelle Méjean, 2005. "Dynamique des exportations : une comparaison France-Allemagne," La Lettre du CEPII, CEPII research center, issue 249.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cai:reofsp:reof_098_07. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jean-Baptiste de Vathaire)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.