The Case for Road Privatization: a Defense by Restitution
Many contributions explained in details the various benefits from private roads. Not only they stressed the possibility of such system, but also the functioning through different historical experiences. However, they put aside an important question: how should we proceed concretely in order to privatize the road network? Our contribution tries to answer this question. It explains the consequences of a public provision and its differences with a free market order. It defines the true meaning of the privatization process: a search for justice, and proposes a solution based on Rothbards theory of property rights. The paper concludes on some critics that we raised to alternative process of privatization.Le réseau routier constitue un bien privé qui peut faire lobjet dune offre de la part dentrepreneurs. Or aujourdhui, celui-ci est géré par le secteur public. Se pose le problème de sa désocialisation ou de sa transmission au secteur privé par privatisation. Nous démontrons que les procédés de privatisation couramment utilisés se focalisent seulement sur un critère de rentabilité et en cela se révèlent insuffisants. La méthode par restitution se présente quant à elle comme un procédé recherchant un principe de justice, conforme à léthique des droits de propriété. Nous présentons alors les modalités pratiques dune telle méthode appliquée au réseau routier.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 13 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.degruyter.com|
|Order Information:||Web: https://www.degruyter.com/view/j/jeeh|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Klein, Daniel B, 1990.
"The Voluntary Provision of Public Goods? The Turnpike Companies of Early America,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 28(4), pages 788-812, October.
- Klein, Daniel B., 1990. "The Voluntary Provision of Public Goods? The Turnpike Companies of Early America," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt2587p3z1, University of California Transportation Center.
- Klein, Daniel, 1990. "The Voluntary Provision of Public Goods? The Turnpike Companies of Early America," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt0js4r8h9, University of California Transportation Center.
- Klein, D., 1989. "The Voluntary Provision Of Public Goods? The Turnpike Companies Of Early America," Papers 89-08, California Irvine - School of Social Sciences.
- Majewski, John & Baer, Christopher & Klein, Daniel B., 1993.
"Responding to Relative Decline: The Plank Road Boom of Antebellum New York,"
The Journal of Economic History,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 53(01), pages 106-122, March.
- Majewski, John & Baer, Christopher & Klein, Daniel B., 1993. "Responding to Relative Decline: The Plank Road Boom of Antebellum New York," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt0jk2683v, University of California Transportation Center.
- Klein, Peter G, 1996. "Economic Calculation and the Limits of Organization," The Review of Austrian Economics, Springer;Society for the Development of Austrian Economics, vol. 9(2), pages 3-28.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bpj:jeehcn:v:13:y:2003:i:1:n:5. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.