A Spoonful of Sugar: Privatization and Popular Support for Reform in the Czech Republic
We analyze the role of privatization in creating a constituency for economic reform, markets, and democratic institutions, focusing on the Czech Republic. Drawing on a 1996 survey, we examine the 1,459 respondents" opinions on reforms, economic policies and systems, the legitimacy of transition, and democratic values. Using ordered probit estimation, we find that receiving property through restitution is strongly associated with support for reform and markets. Concerning voucher privatization, we find positive effects for participants retaining shares, but little impact of participation alone. Our simulations suggest that policy designs have substantial consequences for citizens" support of reforms, markets, and democracy. Copyright 2003 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 15 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0954-1985|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=0954-1985|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cesar Martinelli & Mariano Tommasi, 1993. "Sequencing of Economic Reforms in the Presence of Political Constraints," UCLA Economics Working Papers 701, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Claessens, Stijn & Djankov, Simeon, 1999.
"Ownership Concentration and Corporate Performance in the Czech Republic,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 498-513, September.
- Stijn Claessens & Simeon Djankov, 1999. "Ownership Concentration and Corporate Performance in the Czech Republic," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 227, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Claessens, Stijn & Djankov, Simeon, 1999. "Ownership Concentration and Corporate Performance in the Czech Republic," CEPR Discussion Papers 2145, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- John Vickers & George Yarrow, 1991. "Economic Perspectives on Privatization," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 5(2), pages 111-132, Spring.
- Evans, Geoffrey & Whitefield, Stephen, 1995. "The Politics and Economics of Democratic Commitment: Support for Democracy in Transition Societies," British Journal of Political Science, Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(04), pages 485-514, October.
- Harper, Joel T., 2002. "The performance of privatized firms in the Czech Republic," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 621-649, April.
- Saunders, Peter, 1995. "Privatization, Share Ownership and Voting," British Journal of Political Science, Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(01), pages 131-137, January.
- Gerard Roland, 1994.
"The role of political constraints in transition strategies,"
The Economics of Transition,
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 2(1), pages 27-41, 03.
- Roland, Gérard, 1994. "The Role of Political Constraints in Transition Strategies," CEPR Discussion Papers 943, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Reisinger, William M. & Miller, Arthur H. & Hesli, Vicki L. & Maher, Kristen Hill, 1994. "Political Values in Russia, Ukraine and Lithuania: Sources and Implications for Democracy," British Journal of Political Science, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(02), pages 183-223, April.
- Grigoriev, Serguei E. & Nagaev, Serguei A. & Wörgötter, Andreas, 1994. "Regional Economic Development and Political Attitudes of the Population of Russia: Results for the December 1993 Federal Elections," East European Series 15, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- M. Dewatripont & G. Roland, 1992. "Economic Reform and Dynamic Political Constraints," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 59(4), pages 703-730.
- Mathias Dewatripont & Gérard Roland, 1995.
"The design of reform packages under uncertainty,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/9607, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:ecopol:v:15:y:2003:i:1:p:1-32. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.