Information Transmission in Cattle Markets: A Case Study of the Chariton Valley Beef Alliance
The declining share of beef in total U.S. meat consumption has motivated industry-wide efforts to improve average beef quality through more effective coordination among the various market participants. Increased use of explicit grid pricing mechanisms over the last decade represents initial efforts at improved coordination. More recent efforts include animal-specific carcass data collection, with subsequent transmission to feeders and the relevant cow/calf operations, and improved source verification procedures aimed at (among other things) reducing the overall cost of medical treatment for live animals. None of these organizational innovations is costless, and indeed a number of significant barriers must be overcome before more widespread adoption of such practices takes place. This paper takes a detailed look at one organizationâ€™s attempts to overcome some of these barriers, and provides a qualitative assessment of this and other potential organizational responses.
Volume (Year): 24 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 301 Conner Hall, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602-7509|
Web page: http://www.agecon.uga.edu/~jab/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Forristall, Cody & May, Gary J. & Lawrence, John D., 2002. "Assessing the Cost of Beef Quality," Staff General Research Papers 2101, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Hueth, Brent & Hennessy, David A., 2002. "Contracts and Risk in Agriculture: Conceptual and Empirical Foundations," Staff General Research Papers 5324, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Forristall, Cody & May, Gary J. & Lawrence, John D., 2002. "Assessing The Cost Of Beef Quality," 2002 Conference, April 22-23, 2002, St. Louis, Missouri 19060, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Canice Prendergast, 1999. "The Provision of Incentives in Firms," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(1), pages 7-63, March.
- Lawrence, John D. & Forristall, Cody & May, Gary, 2002. "Assessing the Cost of Beef Quality," Staff General Research Papers 10467, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Hayenga, Marvin L., 2000. "Meat Packer Vertical Integration and Contract Linkages in the Beef and Pork Industries: An Economic Perspective," Staff General Research Papers 10564, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Holmstrom, Bengt, 1999. "The Firm as a Subeconomy," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 15(1), pages 74-102, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:jloagb:57703. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.