Social Science & Medicine
Contact information of Elsevier:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/315/description#description
To be notified about new items in this series: Free volume/issue alert on ScienceDirect (see also NEP)
Download restrictions: Full text for ScienceDirect subscribers only
For corrections or technical questions regarding this series, please contact (Zhang, Lei)
Series handle: repec:eee:socmed
Citations RSS feed: at CitEc
Impact factors: Simple (last 10 years), Recursive (10), Discounted (10), Recursive discounted (10), H-Index (10), Aggregate (10)
Access and download statistics
Top item: By citations. By downloads (last 12 months).
More pages of listings: 0| 1| 2| 3| 4| 5| 6| 7| 8| 9| 10| 11| 12| 13| 14| 15| 16| 17| 18| 19| 20| 21| 22| 23| 24| 25| 26| 27| 28| 29| 30| 31| 32| 33| 34| 35| 36| 37| 38| 39| 40| 41| 42| 43| 44| 45| 46| 47| 48| 49| 50| 51| 52| 53| 54| 55| 56| 57| 58| 59| 60
1985, Volume 20, Issue 5
- 511-515 The shaman and the medicine-man
by Hultkrantz, Åke
- 517-527 Weaving a tangled web: The psychology of deception and self deception in psychogenic pain
by Bayer, Timothy L.
- 529-533 Reducing presurgical anxiety: A possible visitor effect
by Hartsfield, Judy & Clopton, James R.
- 535-543 Doctors, psychiatrists and disease
by Lavin, Michael
- 545-552 Deinstitutionalization and public policy
by Scull, Andrew
1985, Volume 20, Issue 4
- 307-314 Illegitimate birth and deprivation: Recent findings from an exploratory study
by Filinson, Rachel
- 315-318 The significance of psychosocial factors in predicting coronary disease in patients with valvular heart disease
by Cooper, C. L. & Faragher, E. B. & Bray, C. L. & Ramsdale, D. R.
- 319-323 Living with an amputation: The helper
by Thompson, Dorothy M. & Haran, Dave
- 325-330 Illness behaviour in mothers with young children
by Campion, Peter D. & Gabriel, Jennet
- 331-334 Type A behaviour in two ethnic rural communities of males in Israel with and without coronary heart disease
by Stockwell, Naomi & Zyzanski, Stephen J. & Yodfat, Yair
- 335-340 Japan's clinic physicians and their behavior
by Abe, Maratoshi A.
- 341-346 Status of life-areas: Congruence/noncongruence in ESRD patient and spouse perceptions
by Gray, Heather & Brogan, Donna & Kutner, Nancy G.
- 347-354 Who are those most likely to be institutionalized, the elderly who receive comprehensive home care services or those who do not?
by Béland, François
- 355-364 Intervention against loneliness in a group of elderly women: An impact evaluation
by Anderson, Lars
- 365-369 Social bonds in a healthy elderly sample: Characteristics and associated variables
by Thomas, Paula D. & Garry, Philip J. & Goodwin, Jean M. & Goodwin, James S.
- 371-379 Variation in inpatient racial composition among acute-care hospitals in New York State
by Schatzkin, Arthur
- 381-392 Infant mortality in Sri Lankan households: A causal model
by Waxler, Nancy E. & Morrison, Barrie M. & Sirisena, W. M. & Pinnaduwage, S.
- 393-398 Social and public health implication of water supply in arid zones in the Sudan
by Awad El Karim, M. A. & El Hassan, B. M. & Hussein, K. K.
- 399-404 Approaches to medical geography: An historical perspective
by Paul, Bimal Kanti
- 404-407 Directions for medical geography in the 1980s: Some observations from the United Kingdom
by Phillips, David R.
- 407-408 Directions for medical geography in the 1980s: Some observations from the United Kingdom
by Learmonth, A. T. A.
- 408-409 Directions for medical geography in the 1980s: Some observations from the United Kingdom
by Armstrong, R. W.
- 411-424 Supply projections as planning: A critical review of forecasting net physician requirements in Canada
by Lomas, Jonathan & Stoddart, Greg L. & Barer, Morris L.
- 425-429 Skin disease and handicap: An analysis of the impact of skin conditions
by Jowett, Sandra & Ryan, Terence
- 437-438 Towards total patient care
by Omar, Mayeh A.
1985, Volume 20, Issue 3
- 181-190 The primary health care project in Belgium: A survey on the utilization of health services
by Foets, Marleen & Berghmans, Frans & Janssens, Lieve
- 191-197 Prescription drug advertising: Trends and implications
by Krupka, Lawrence R. & Vener, Arthur M.
- 199-206 What is unnecessary surgery? Who shall decide? Issues of consumer sovereignty, conflict and self-regulation
by Schacht, Paul J. & Pemberton, Alec
- 207-214 An assessment of community health workers in Nicaragua
by Scholl, Edward A.
- 215-221 Sterilization in the northeast of Brazil
by Janowitz, Barbara & Higgins, James E. & Rodrigues, Walter & Arruda, Jose Marie & Smith, Jason B. & Morris, Leo
- 223-230 Dietary beliefs in health and illness among a Hong Kong community
by Ho, Suzanne S. Y. Chan
- 231-240 Clinical clerkships in professional education: A study in pharmacy and other ancillary professions
by Broadhead, Robert S. & Facchinetti, Neil J.
- 241-245 Factors which differentiate smokers from ex-smokers among cardiovascular patients: A discriminant analysis
by Giannetti, Vincent J. & Reynolds, John & Rihn, Thomas
- 247-252 Consistency of rule application to inmates in long-term treatment institutions
by Roth, Julius A.
- 253-261 A physician role typology: Colleague and client dependence in an HMO
by Barr, Judith K. & Steinberg, Marcia K.
- 263-268 Patterns in preventive behavior: A study of women in middle age
by Calnan, Michael
- 269-275 Lay workers in primary health care: Victims in the process of social transformation
by Stark, Ruth
- 277-285 Traditional healers, mothers and childhood diarrheal disease in Swaziland: The interface of anthropology and health education
by Green, Edward C.
- 287-292 Obstetrical choice among urban women in Benin
by Sargent, Carolyn
- 293-300 Clean water provision in rural areas of less developed countries
by Roundy, Robert W.
1985, Volume 20, Issue 2
- 119-120 Introduction
by Baszanger, Isabelle
- 121-122 Sociology of health and illness in France, retrospectively and prospectively
by Herzlich, Claudine
- 123-128 Social uses of illness at the workplace: Sick leave and moral evaluation
by Dodier, Nicolas
- 129-132 A protest movement in a private clinic: An analysis of a patients' strike
by Waissman, Renée
- 133-143 Professional socialization and social control: From medical students to general practitioners
by Baszanger, Isabelle
- 145-151 The social construction of the patient: Patients and illnesses in other ages
by Herzlich, Claudine & Pierret, Janine
- 153-166 Hospital system management in France and Canada: National pluralism and provincial centralism
by de Pouvourville, Gerard & Renaud, Marc
- 167-172 Managerial procedures and hospital practices: A case study of the development of a new medical discipline
by Cabridain, Marie-Odile
- 173-180 An economic approach to the daily activities of private general practitioners
by Letourmy, Alain
1985, Volume 20, Issue 1
- 1-25 Populism and health policy: The case of community health volunteers in India
by Jobert, Bruno
- 26-26 Commentaries
by Pfleiderer, Beatrix
- 27-28 Commentaries
by Miles, M.
- 29-37 The meaning of medications: Another look at compliance
by Conrad, Peter
- 39-45 Psychiatric symptomatology among Mexican American farmworkers
by Vega, William & Warheit, George & Palacio, Robert
- 47-52 Patient reactions to doctors' computer use in general practice consultations
by Brownbridge, Garry & Herzmark, Guy A. & Wall, Toby D.
- 53-59 A survey of traditional medical practices used for the treatment of malignant tumors in an East African population
by Alexander, George A.
- 61-66 The association between health and retirement: Self-health assessment of Israeli retirees
by Kremer, Yael
- 67-69 Mobilizing indigenous resource for primary health care in Nigeria: A note on the place of traditional medicine
by Oyeneye, O. Y.
- 71-84 The persistence of high fertility in Kenya
by Sindiga, Isaac
- 85-93 Pharmacy patronage among the elderly: Selected racial and geographical patterns
by Shannon, Gary W. & Cromley, Ellen K. & Fink, Joseph L.
- 95-100 Personality indicators of psychosocial adjustment in first-year medical students
by Zeldow, Peter B. & Clark, David C. & Daugherty, Steven R. & Eckenfels, Edward J.
- 101-105 Using the health belief model to predict initial drug therapy defaulting
by Fincham, Jack E. & Wertheimer, Albert I.
- 107-109 Maintenance of psychosocial attitudes in medical students
by Dornbush, Rhea L. & Singer, Paul & Brownstein, Edward J. & Freedman, Alfred M.
1984, Volume 19, Issue 12
- 1257-1260 Pain; Still an intriguing puzzle
by Menges, Louwrens J.
- 1261-1277 New directions in the understanding and management of pain
by Chapman, C. Richard
- 1279-1298 Ethnicity and the pain experience
by Lipton, James A. & Marbach, Joseph J.
- 1299-1304 Between death and shame: Dimensions of pain in Bariba culture
by Sargent, Carolyn
- 1305-1311 The continous nature of headache susceptibility
by Bakal, Donald A. & Demjen, Stefan & Kaganov, Judith
- 1313-1317 The spouse's adjustment to chronic pain: Cognitive and emotional factors
by Block, Andrew R. & Boyer, Sara L.
- 1319-1324 Consequences of nonverbal expression of pain: Patient distress and observer concern
by von Baeyer, Carl L. & Johnson, Marianne E. & McMillan, Marcia J.
- 1325-1330 Facial expression accompanying pain
by LeResche, Linda & Dworkin, Samuel F.
- 1331-1337 Developmental changes in infant pain expression during immunization injections
by Craig, K. D. & McMahon, R. J. & Morison, J. D. & Zaskow, C.
- 1339-1345 Cognitive dimensions of chronic pain
by Ciccone, Donald S. & Grzesiak, Roy C.
- 1347-1351 A study of labour pain using the MCGILL pain questionnaire
by Niven, Catherine & Gijsbers, Karel
- 1353-1360 Psychological approaches to the management of arthritis pain
by Bradley, Laurence A. & Young, Larry D. & Anderson, Karen O. & McDaniel, Lisa K. & Turner, Robert A. & Agudelo, Carlos A.
- 1361-1365 Patient evaluation of a cognitive behavioral group program for patients with chronic low back pain
by Linssen, A. C. G. & Zitman, F. G.
- 1367-1378 Physiological and psychological explanations for the mechanism of acupunture as a treatment for chronic pain
by Lewith, G. T. & Kenyon, J. N.
- 1379-1382 Long-term use of narcotic analgesics in chronic pain
by France, Randal D. & Urban, Bruno J. & Keefe, Francis J.
- 1383-1392 Chronic pain from the perspective of health: A view based on systems theory
by Engelbart, Herman J. & Vrancken, Mariet A. E.
- 1393-1400 Managing the problem pain patient: Compliance or social control?
by Kotarba, Joseph A. & Seidel, John V.
1984, Volume 19, Issue 11
- 1127-1129 Scholarship, freedom and brain drain in Africa
by Mburu, F.M.
- 1131-1139 Going up in smoke: The case of British American tobacco in Kenya
by Currie, Kate & Ray, Larry
- 1141-1149 Disabled persons in Poland
by Bejnarowicz, Janusz
- 1151-1158 Opinions on mental illness in Israel
by Rahav, Michael & Struening, Elmer L. & Andrews, Howard
- 1159-1165 Decision making in professional associations
by Cox, Ken
- 1167-1171 Obstacles to successful fertility control in Nigeria
by Udjo, Eric O.
- 1173-1180 The utilisation of preschool health and education services
by Fergusson, D.M. & Dimond, M.E. & Horwood, L.J. & Shannon, F.T.
- 1181-1187 Age and capacity devaluation: A replication
by Greenblum, Joseph
- 1189-1196 Obstacles to the practice of licensed lay midwifery
by Sullivan, Deborah A. & Weitz, Rose
- 1197-1200 What is, must be best: A research note on conservative or deferential responses to antenatal care provision
by Porter, Maureen & Macintyre, Sally
- 1201-1206 Pregnancy, labor and body image in the United States
by Martin, Emily
- 1207-1212 Female infanticide and amniocentesis
by Jeffery, Roger & Jeffery, Patricia & Lyon, Andrew
- 1213-1216 The bystander in highway injury accidents
by Brodsky, Harold
- 1217-1226 Neighborhood variations in the use of hospital emergency rooms for primary care
by Bohland, James
- 1227-1234 The embodiment of social relations in coronary heart disease
by Radley, A.R.
- 1235-1238 A scale to measure physician beliefs about psychosocial aspects of patient care
by Ashworth, Clark D. & Williamson, Penelope & Montano, Daniel
- 1239-1244 New evidence on fluoridation
by Colquhoun, John
- 1244-1246 Commentary
by Dunning, James M.
1984, Volume 19, Issue 10
- 1013-1013 Introduction
by Vanden Bossche, H. & Van Belle, N. & Carrin, G. & Nonneman, W.
- 1015-1030 Economic evaluation of health care interventions: A review of alternative methods
by Carrin, Guy
- 1031-1037 Theoretical and empirical issues in benefit identification, measurement and valuation related to parasitic disease control in poor countries
by Dunlop, David W.
- 1039-1049 The application of a quantitative approach to the assessment of the relative importance of vector and soil transmitted diseases in Ghana
by Morrow, R. H.
- 1051-1055 The economics of blindness prevention in upper volta under the Onchocerciasis Control Program
by Prescott, N. & Prost, A. & Berre, R. Le
- 1057-1060 Selected economic issues in helminth control
by Prescott, N. & Jancloes, M. F.
- 1061-1065 Methods to evaluate nutritional and economic implications of ascaris infection
by Stephenson, Lani S.
- 1067-1072 Cost-effectiveness analysis of echinococcosis-hydatidosis eradication project in Sardinia
by Attanasio, Ermanno & Palmas, Costantino
- 1073-1080 Cost-effectiveness of different ways of controlling intestinal schistosomiasis: A case study
by Polderman, A. M.
- 1081-1097 Cost and performance of malaria surveillance in Thailand
by Kaewsonthi, Somkid & Harding, Alan G.
- 1099-1104 Socioeconomic factors associated with malaria in Colombia
by Banguero, Harold
- 1105-1107 Socio-economic problems related to animal trypanosomiasis in Africa
by Mortelmans, J.
- 1109-1111 Cooperation between developing countries and the pharmaceutical industry in the control of parasitic diseases: A proposal for a practical approach
by Van Belle, N.
- 1113-1116 Costs of training and maintenance of expert man-power vs costs of drugs. Priorities in the field of helminthic diseases in developing countries
by De Schaepdryver, A.
- 1117-1126 The economics of parasitic diseases: Research priorities
by Rosenfield, P. L. & Golladay, F. & Davidson, R. K.
1984, Volume 19, Issue 9
- 897-910 Marxist functionalism in medicine: A critique of the work of Vicente Navarro on health and medicine
by Reidy, Angela
- 911-915 The popularity of injections in the third world: Origins and consequences for poliomyelitis
by Wyatt, H. V.
- 917-927 Death from non-war violence: An international comparison
by Day, Lincoln H.
- 929-938 The ideologies of despair: A symbolic interpretation of punks and skinheads' usage of barbiturates
by Burr, A.
- 939-947 Cultural differences in reactions to patient behaviour: A comparison of Swedish and Australian health professionals
by Westbrook, Mary T. & Nordholm, Lena A. & McGee, Jeanette E.
- 949-956 Training for certainty
by Atkinson, Paul
- 957-963 Public communication on donorcards: A comparison of persuasive styles
by Winkel, Frans Willem
- 965-969 The role of physicians' knowledge and attitudes in effective diabetes management
by Weinberger, Morris & Cohen, Stuart J. & Mazzuca, Steven A.
- 971-978 The relationship between American women's preventive dental behavior and dental health beliefs
by Chen, Meei-Shia & Tatsuoka, Maurice
- 979-982 Adolescents' health beliefs and acceptance of a novel preventive dental activity: A further note
by Kegeles, S. Stephen & Lund, Adrian K.
- 983-989 Use of psychotropic drugs in Finland
by Riska, Elianne & Klaukka, Timo
- 991-995 Belief systems and breast feeding among Filipino urban poor
by Fernandez, Erlinda L. & Guthrie, George M.
- 997-1008 Disease rate as an artifact of the health care system: Tubercolosis in Puerto Rico
by Hunter, Joan M. & Arbona, Sonia
1984, Volume 19, Issue 8
- 773-781 Primary health care in practice: A study in Mozambique
by Jelley, Diana & Madeley, Richard J.
- 781-781 Commentary
by Muhondwa, Eustace
- 783-792 The basic health care system in Botswana: A study of the distribution and cost in the period 1973-1979
by Høgh, Birthe & Petersen, Eskild
- 793-797 The demographic factor in the provision of health facilities in developing countries: The case of Nigeria
by Fadayomi, T. O. & Oyeneye, O. Y.
- 799-810 The determinants of infant and child morbidity in Lagos, Nigeria
by Chojnacka, Helena & Adegbola, Olukunle
- 811-821 Company doctors: Standards of care and legitimacy: A case study from Canada
by Walters, Vivienne
- 823-830 The health belief model and participation in programmes for the early detection of breast cancer: A comparative analysis
by Calnan, Michael
- 831-837 The relationship of two dimensions of social support to the psychological well-being and social functioning of women with advanced breast cancer
by Bloom, Joan R. & Spiegel, David
- 839-842 Patients' perception of dentists' positive and negative attributes
by Liddell, Andrée & May, Brenda
- 843-851 The health care system in Poland: The case of Lodz as compared with foreign regions; A secondary analysis
by Rychard, Andrzej
- 853-865 Childhood leprosy and social response in South India
by Berreman, Janet M.
- 867-872 Multiple therapeutic use in urban Nepal
by Durkin-Longley, Maureen
- 873-878 'Barefoot doctors' in rural Georgia: The effect of peer selection on the performance of trained volunteers
by Kay, Bonnie J.
- 879-884 The relationship between distance from inpatient facilities and the rate of psychiatric admissions in Western Australia
by Stampfer, H. & Reymond, J. & Burvill, P. W. & Carlson, J.
- 885-891 Characteristics of the distribution of emigrant Indian radiologists, pathologists and anesthesiologists in the United States
by Baker, Stephen R. & Broe, Daniel M. & Kumar, Vimal
1984, Volume 19, Issue 7
- 663-670 Ethnicity and health: A research review
by Donovan, Jenny L.
- 671-675 Sex of provider as a variable in effective genetic counseling
by Zare, Nancy & Sorenson, James R. & Heeren, Timothy
- 677-681 Attendance pattern and continuity of dental care of finnish adults over a 5 year period
by Nyyssönen, Viljo & Herranen, Kaisa & Rimpelä, Matti
- 683-690 Byrne and Long: A classification for rating the interview style of doctors
by Buijs, R. & Sluijs, E. M. & Verhaak, P. F. M.
- 691-698 Dramaturgy of accult practitioners in the treatment of disease and dysfunction entities
by Davis, Phillip W. & Boles, Jacqueline & Tatro, Charlotte
- 699-703 Self-medication: An important aspect of primary health care
by Abosede, O. A.
- 705-715 The imitation of madness: The influence of psychopathology upon culture
by Littlewood, Roland
- 717-725 The drive for professionalization in British osteopathy
by Baer, Hans A.
- 727-734 Perceptions of childhood diarrhoea and its treatment in rural Zimbabwe
by de Zoysa, Isabelle & Carson, Debbie & Feachem, Richard & Kirkwood, Betty & Lindsay-Smith, Euan & Loewenson, Rene
- 735-740 Children's health and play in rural Nepal
by Anderson, Robert & Mitchell, Edna M.
- 741-747 Estimates of the demand for health: Males in the pre-retirement years
by Lairson, David & Lorimor, Ronald & Slater, Carl
- 749-757 Temporal trends of cancer mortality in eastern New England compared to the nation, 1950-1975
by Anderson, Richard F.
- 759-764 Housing change of chronic schizophrenic patients: A consequence of the revolving door
by Caton, Carol L. M. & Goldstein, Jill
1984, Volume 19, Issue 6
- 583-583 Editorial
by Greenwood, Judith G.
- 585-586 Disability research and policy
by New, Peter Kong-Ming
- 587-588 The challenge of helping the handicapped
by Pearson, R. John C.
- 589-593 Disability and health status: The importance of longitudinal studies
by Pope, Clyde R.
- 595-601 Intervention in work-related disability: The need for an integrated approach
by Greenwood, Judith G.
- 603-608 How shall we see them? Perspectives for research with disabled organizations
by May, J. Thomas & Hill, Robert F.
- 609-618 Methodological and conceptual issues in measuring the long term impact of disability: The experience of poliomyelitis patients in Manitoba
by Kaufert, Patricia Leyland & Kaufert, Joseph M.
- 619-627 Analyzing surveys on deaf adults: Implications for survey research on persons with disabilities
by Schroedel, John G.
- 629-634 Environment and treatment: Methodological notes on program evaluation and institutional culture
by Watson, Walter
- 635-638 Psychosocial metaphors of physical distress among MS patients
by Duval, M. Louise
- 639-645 Life history model of adaptation to disability: The case of a 'congenital amputee'
by Frank, Gelya
- 647-654 Women have headaches, men have backaches: Patterns of illness in an Appalachian community
by Horton, Claire F.
- 655-656 Commentary
by von Mering, Otto
- 656-661 Commentary
by Trend, M. G.
- 661-662 Commentary
by Rubel, Arthur J.
1984, Volume 19, Issue 5
- 479-487 Les inegalites sociales devant la mort en grande-bretagne et en France
by Leclerc, A. & Lert, F. & Goldberg, M.
- 489-497 Social networks and psychosocial support among disabled people
by Morgan, Myfanwy & Patrick, Donald L. & Charlton, John R.
- 499-510 An illness behavior paradigm: A conceptual exploration of a situational-adaptation perspective
by Alonzo, Angelo A.
- 511-514 A survey of those who care for the elderly at home: Their problems and their needs
by Jones, Dee A. & Vetter, Norman J.
- 515-522 Hospital units as social contexts: Effects on maternal behavior
by Moss, Nancy
- 523-533 How to stay well in Tzintzuntzan
by Foster, George M.
- 535-546 Infant mortality and infant care: Cultural and economic constraints on nurturing in Northeast Brazil
by Scheper-Hughes, Nancy
- 547-559 Food ideology and eating behavior: Contributions from Malay studies
by Laderman, Carol
- 561-572 The buccra-massa and the little man's broker in a Jamaican sugartown: Implications for community health education
by Whitehead, Tony L.
- 573-580 The role of health beliefs in compliance with physician advice to quit smoking
by Pederson, Linda L. & Wanklin, James M. & Baskerville, Jon C.
- 581-581 Letter to the editor
by Laier, Heather
1984, Volume 19, Issue 4
- 307-314 National security and the health of people: Human needs and the allocation of scarce resources
by Gellhorn, Alfred
- 315-316 Comment
by Cassel, Christine K.
- 316-317 Comment
by Jefferys, Margot
- 317-320 Comment
by Mburu, F. M.
- 320-321 Comment
by McEwan, Peter J. M.
- 322-325 Comment
by Navarro, Vicente
- 325-327 Is there any defense against national defense?
by Smith, Harmon L.
- 328-331 It tolls for thee
by Wood, Philip
- 333-339 Values in health care
by Gish, Oscar
- 341-347 Life-style and health: Some remarks on different viewpoints
by Badura, Bernhard
- 349-358 Assessing recent developments and opportunities in the promotion of health in the American workplace
by Castillo-Salgado, Carlos
- 359-372 Working conditions and health: Social epidemiology, patterns of stress and change
by Karmaus, Wilfried
- 373-384 Assessment and implementation of health care priorities in developing countries; Incompatible paradigms and competing social systems
by Makhoul, Najwa
- 385-389 The family as a resource unit in health care: Changing patterns
by Pless, I. B.
- 391-396 Set and serendipity in the detection of drug hazards
by Melville, Arabella
- 397-404 The continuity of moral reform: Community mental health centers
by Greer, Scott & Greer, Ann Lennarson
- 405-409 Opportunities for health promotion: Including the chronically ill and disabled
by Brooks, Nancy A.
- 411-422 Village health workers in Java, Indonesia: Coverage and equity
by Berman, Peter A.
- 423-431 Women and work: An investigation of the association between health and employment status in middle-aged women
by Jennings, Susan & Mazaik, Cheryl & McKinlay, Sonja
- 433-439 Geographic distribution and demographic correlates of colorectal cancer mortality in Sydney, New South Wales
by Dent, Owen & Goulston, Kerry