Social Science & Medicine
Contact information of Elsevier:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/315/description#description
To be notified about new items in this series: Free volume/issue alert on ScienceDirect (see also NEP)
Download restrictions: Full text for ScienceDirect subscribers only
Editor: The email address of this editor does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Ellen Annandale to have the entry updated or send us the correct address.
For corrections or technical questions regarding this series, please contact (Wendy Shamier)
Series handle: repec:eee:socmed
Citations RSS feed: at CitEc
Impact factors: Simple, Recursive, Discounted, Recursive discounted, H-Index, Aggregate
Access and download statistics
Top item: By citations. By downloads (last 12 months).
More pages of listings: 0| 1| 2| 3| 4| 5| 6| 7| 8| 9| 10| 11| 12| 13| 14| 15| 16| 17| 18| 19| 20| 21| 22| 23| 24| 25| 26| 27| 28| 29| 30| 31| 32| 33| 34| 35| 36| 37| 38| 39| 40| 41| 42| 43| 44| 45| 46| 47| 48| 49| 50| 51| 52| 53| 54| 55| 56| 57
1984, Volume 19, Issue 12
- 1361-1365 Patient evaluation of a cognitive behavioral group program for patients with chronic low back pain
by Linssen, A. C. G. & Zitman, F. G.
- 1367-1378 Physiological and psychological explanations for the mechanism of acupunture as a treatment for chronic pain
by Lewith, G. T. & Kenyon, J. N.
- 1379-1382 Long-term use of narcotic analgesics in chronic pain
by France, Randal D. & Urban, Bruno J. & Keefe, Francis J.
- 1383-1392 Chronic pain from the perspective of health: A view based on systems theory
by Engelbart, Herman J. & Vrancken, Mariet A. E.
- 1393-1400 Managing the problem pain patient: Compliance or social control?
by Kotarba, Joseph A. & Seidel, John V.
1984, Volume 19, Issue 11
- 1127-1129 Scholarship, freedom and brain drain in Africa
by Mburu, F.M.
- 1131-1139 Going up in smoke: The case of British American tobacco in Kenya
by Currie, Kate & Ray, Larry
- 1141-1149 Disabled persons in Poland
by Bejnarowicz, Janusz
- 1151-1158 Opinions on mental illness in Israel
by Rahav, Michael & Struening, Elmer L. & Andrews, Howard
- 1159-1165 Decision making in professional associations
by Cox, Ken
- 1167-1171 Obstacles to successful fertility control in Nigeria
by Udjo, Eric O.
- 1173-1180 The utilisation of preschool health and education services
by Fergusson, D.M. & Dimond, M.E. & Horwood, L.J. & Shannon, F.T.
- 1181-1187 Age and capacity devaluation: A replication
by Greenblum, Joseph
- 1189-1196 Obstacles to the practice of licensed lay midwifery
by Sullivan, Deborah A. & Weitz, Rose
- 1197-1200 What is, must be best: A research note on conservative or deferential responses to antenatal care provision
by Porter, Maureen & Macintyre, Sally
- 1201-1206 Pregnancy, labor and body image in the United States
by Martin, Emily
- 1207-1212 Female infanticide and amniocentesis
by Jeffery, Roger & Jeffery, Patricia & Lyon, Andrew
- 1213-1216 The bystander in highway injury accidents
by Brodsky, Harold
- 1217-1226 Neighborhood variations in the use of hospital emergency rooms for primary care
by Bohland, James
- 1227-1234 The embodiment of social relations in coronary heart disease
by Radley, A.R.
- 1235-1238 A scale to measure physician beliefs about psychosocial aspects of patient care
by Ashworth, Clark D. & Williamson, Penelope & Montano, Daniel
- 1239-1244 New evidence on fluoridation
by Colquhoun, John
- 1244-1246 Commentary
by Dunning, James M.
1984, Volume 19, Issue 10
- 1013-1013 Introduction
by Vanden Bossche, H. & Van Belle, N. & Carrin, G. & Nonneman, W.
- 1015-1030 Economic evaluation of health care interventions: A review of alternative methods
by Carrin, Guy
- 1031-1037 Theoretical and empirical issues in benefit identification, measurement and valuation related to parasitic disease control in poor countries
by Dunlop, David W.
- 1039-1049 The application of a quantitative approach to the assessment of the relative importance of vector and soil transmitted diseases in Ghana
by Morrow, R. H.
- 1051-1055 The economics of blindness prevention in upper volta under the Onchocerciasis Control Program
by Prescott, N. & Prost, A. & Berre, R. Le
- 1057-1060 Selected economic issues in helminth control
by Prescott, N. & Jancloes, M. F.
- 1061-1065 Methods to evaluate nutritional and economic implications of ascaris infection
by Stephenson, Lani S.
- 1067-1072 Cost-effectiveness analysis of echinococcosis-hydatidosis eradication project in Sardinia
by Attanasio, Ermanno & Palmas, Costantino
- 1073-1080 Cost-effectiveness of different ways of controlling intestinal schistosomiasis: A case study
by Polderman, A. M.
- 1081-1097 Cost and performance of malaria surveillance in Thailand
by Kaewsonthi, Somkid & Harding, Alan G.
- 1099-1104 Socioeconomic factors associated with malaria in Colombia
by Banguero, Harold
- 1105-1107 Socio-economic problems related to animal trypanosomiasis in Africa
by Mortelmans, J.
- 1109-1111 Cooperation between developing countries and the pharmaceutical industry in the control of parasitic diseases: A proposal for a practical approach
by Van Belle, N.
- 1113-1116 Costs of training and maintenance of expert man-power vs costs of drugs. Priorities in the field of helminthic diseases in developing countries
by De Schaepdryver, A.
- 1117-1126 The economics of parasitic diseases: Research priorities
by Rosenfield, P. L. & Golladay, F. & Davidson, R. K.
1984, Volume 19, Issue 9
- 897-910 Marxist functionalism in medicine: A critique of the work of Vicente Navarro on health and medicine
by Reidy, Angela
- 911-915 The popularity of injections in the third world: Origins and consequences for poliomyelitis
by Wyatt, H. V.
- 917-927 Death from non-war violence: An international comparison
by Day, Lincoln H.
- 929-938 The ideologies of despair: A symbolic interpretation of punks and skinheads' usage of barbiturates
by Burr, A.
- 939-947 Cultural differences in reactions to patient behaviour: A comparison of Swedish and Australian health professionals
by Westbrook, Mary T. & Nordholm, Lena A. & McGee, Jeanette E.
- 949-956 Training for certainty
by Atkinson, Paul
- 957-963 Public communication on donorcards: A comparison of persuasive styles
by Winkel, Frans Willem
- 965-969 The role of physicians' knowledge and attitudes in effective diabetes management
by Weinberger, Morris & Cohen, Stuart J. & Mazzuca, Steven A.
- 971-978 The relationship between American women's preventive dental behavior and dental health beliefs
by Chen, Meei-Shia & Tatsuoka, Maurice
- 979-982 Adolescents' health beliefs and acceptance of a novel preventive dental activity: A further note
by Kegeles, S. Stephen & Lund, Adrian K.
- 983-989 Use of psychotropic drugs in Finland
by Riska, Elianne & Klaukka, Timo
- 991-995 Belief systems and breast feeding among Filipino urban poor
by Fernandez, Erlinda L. & Guthrie, George M.
- 997-1008 Disease rate as an artifact of the health care system: Tubercolosis in Puerto Rico
by Hunter, Joan M. & Arbona, Sonia
1984, Volume 19, Issue 8
- 773-781 Primary health care in practice: A study in Mozambique
by Jelley, Diana & Madeley, Richard J.
- 781-781 Commentary
by Muhondwa, Eustace
- 783-792 The basic health care system in Botswana: A study of the distribution and cost in the period 1973-1979
by Høgh, Birthe & Petersen, Eskild
- 793-797 The demographic factor in the provision of health facilities in developing countries: The case of Nigeria
by Fadayomi, T. O. & Oyeneye, O. Y.
- 799-810 The determinants of infant and child morbidity in Lagos, Nigeria
by Chojnacka, Helena & Adegbola, Olukunle
- 811-821 Company doctors: Standards of care and legitimacy: A case study from Canada
by Walters, Vivienne
- 823-830 The health belief model and participation in programmes for the early detection of breast cancer: A comparative analysis
by Calnan, Michael
- 831-837 The relationship of two dimensions of social support to the psychological well-being and social functioning of women with advanced breast cancer
by Bloom, Joan R. & Spiegel, David
- 839-842 Patients' perception of dentists' positive and negative attributes
by Liddell, Andrée & May, Brenda
- 843-851 The health care system in Poland: The case of Lodz as compared with foreign regions; A secondary analysis
by Rychard, Andrzej
- 853-865 Childhood leprosy and social response in South India
by Berreman, Janet M.
- 867-872 Multiple therapeutic use in urban Nepal
by Durkin-Longley, Maureen
- 873-878 'Barefoot doctors' in rural Georgia: The effect of peer selection on the performance of trained volunteers
by Kay, Bonnie J.
- 879-884 The relationship between distance from inpatient facilities and the rate of psychiatric admissions in Western Australia
by Stampfer, H. & Reymond, J. & Burvill, P. W. & Carlson, J.
- 885-891 Characteristics of the distribution of emigrant Indian radiologists, pathologists and anesthesiologists in the United States
by Baker, Stephen R. & Broe, Daniel M. & Kumar, Vimal
1984, Volume 19, Issue 7
- 663-670 Ethnicity and health: A research review
by Donovan, Jenny L.
- 671-675 Sex of provider as a variable in effective genetic counseling
by Zare, Nancy & Sorenson, James R. & Heeren, Timothy
- 677-681 Attendance pattern and continuity of dental care of finnish adults over a 5 year period
by Nyyssönen, Viljo & Herranen, Kaisa & Rimpelä, Matti
- 683-690 Byrne and Long: A classification for rating the interview style of doctors
by Buijs, R. & Sluijs, E. M. & Verhaak, P. F. M.
- 691-698 Dramaturgy of accult practitioners in the treatment of disease and dysfunction entities
by Davis, Phillip W. & Boles, Jacqueline & Tatro, Charlotte
- 699-703 Self-medication: An important aspect of primary health care
by Abosede, O. A.
- 705-715 The imitation of madness: The influence of psychopathology upon culture
by Littlewood, Roland
- 717-725 The drive for professionalization in British osteopathy
by Baer, Hans A.
- 727-734 Perceptions of childhood diarrhoea and its treatment in rural Zimbabwe
by de Zoysa, Isabelle & Carson, Debbie & Feachem, Richard & Kirkwood, Betty & Lindsay-Smith, Euan & Loewenson, Rene
- 735-740 Children's health and play in rural Nepal
by Anderson, Robert & Mitchell, Edna M.
- 741-747 Estimates of the demand for health: Males in the pre-retirement years
by Lairson, David & Lorimor, Ronald & Slater, Carl
- 749-757 Temporal trends of cancer mortality in eastern New England compared to the nation, 1950-1975
by Anderson, Richard F.
- 759-764 Housing change of chronic schizophrenic patients: A consequence of the revolving door
by Caton, Carol L. M. & Goldstein, Jill
1984, Volume 19, Issue 6
- 583-583 Editorial
by Greenwood, Judith G.
- 585-586 Disability research and policy
by New, Peter Kong-Ming
- 587-588 The challenge of helping the handicapped
by Pearson, R. John C.
- 589-593 Disability and health status: The importance of longitudinal studies
by Pope, Clyde R.
- 595-601 Intervention in work-related disability: The need for an integrated approach
by Greenwood, Judith G.
- 603-608 How shall we see them? Perspectives for research with disabled organizations
by May, J. Thomas & Hill, Robert F.
- 609-618 Methodological and conceptual issues in measuring the long term impact of disability: The experience of poliomyelitis patients in Manitoba
by Kaufert, Patricia Leyland & Kaufert, Joseph M.
- 619-627 Analyzing surveys on deaf adults: Implications for survey research on persons with disabilities
by Schroedel, John G.
- 629-634 Environment and treatment: Methodological notes on program evaluation and institutional culture
by Watson, Walter
- 635-638 Psychosocial metaphors of physical distress among MS patients
by Duval, M. Louise
- 639-645 Life history model of adaptation to disability: The case of a 'congenital amputee'
by Frank, Gelya
- 647-654 Women have headaches, men have backaches: Patterns of illness in an Appalachian community
by Horton, Claire F.
- 655-656 Commentary
by von Mering, Otto
- 656-661 Commentary
by Trend, M. G.
- 661-662 Commentary
by Rubel, Arthur J.
1984, Volume 19, Issue 5
- 479-487 Les inegalites sociales devant la mort en grande-bretagne et en France
by Leclerc, A. & Lert, F. & Goldberg, M.
- 489-497 Social networks and psychosocial support among disabled people
by Morgan, Myfanwy & Patrick, Donald L. & Charlton, John R.
- 499-510 An illness behavior paradigm: A conceptual exploration of a situational-adaptation perspective
by Alonzo, Angelo A.
- 511-514 A survey of those who care for the elderly at home: Their problems and their needs
by Jones, Dee A. & Vetter, Norman J.
- 515-522 Hospital units as social contexts: Effects on maternal behavior
by Moss, Nancy
- 523-533 How to stay well in Tzintzuntzan
by Foster, George M.
- 535-546 Infant mortality and infant care: Cultural and economic constraints on nurturing in Northeast Brazil
by Scheper-Hughes, Nancy
- 547-559 Food ideology and eating behavior: Contributions from Malay studies
by Laderman, Carol
- 561-572 The buccra-massa and the little man's broker in a Jamaican sugartown: Implications for community health education
by Whitehead, Tony L.
- 573-580 The role of health beliefs in compliance with physician advice to quit smoking
by Pederson, Linda L. & Wanklin, James M. & Baskerville, Jon C.
- 581-581 Letter to the editor
by Laier, Heather
1984, Volume 19, Issue 4
- 307-314 National security and the health of people: Human needs and the allocation of scarce resources
by Gellhorn, Alfred
- 315-316 Comment
by Cassel, Christine K.
- 316-317 Comment
by Jefferys, Margot
- 317-320 Comment
by Mburu, F. M.
- 320-321 Comment
by McEwan, Peter J. M.
- 322-325 Comment
by Navarro, Vicente
- 325-327 Is there any defense against national defense?
by Smith, Harmon L.
- 328-331 It tolls for thee
by Wood, Philip
- 333-339 Values in health care
by Gish, Oscar
- 341-347 Life-style and health: Some remarks on different viewpoints
by Badura, Bernhard
- 349-358 Assessing recent developments and opportunities in the promotion of health in the American workplace
by Castillo-Salgado, Carlos
- 359-372 Working conditions and health: Social epidemiology, patterns of stress and change
by Karmaus, Wilfried
- 373-384 Assessment and implementation of health care priorities in developing countries; Incompatible paradigms and competing social systems
by Makhoul, Najwa
- 385-389 The family as a resource unit in health care: Changing patterns
by Pless, I. B.
- 391-396 Set and serendipity in the detection of drug hazards
by Melville, Arabella
- 397-404 The continuity of moral reform: Community mental health centers
by Greer, Scott & Greer, Ann Lennarson
- 405-409 Opportunities for health promotion: Including the chronically ill and disabled
by Brooks, Nancy A.
- 411-422 Village health workers in Java, Indonesia: Coverage and equity
by Berman, Peter A.
- 423-431 Women and work: An investigation of the association between health and employment status in middle-aged women
by Jennings, Susan & Mazaik, Cheryl & McKinlay, Sonja
- 433-439 Geographic distribution and demographic correlates of colorectal cancer mortality in Sydney, New South Wales
by Dent, Owen & Goulston, Kerry
- 441-450 Where there is a doctor: Strategies to increase productivity at lower cost. The economics of rural health care in the Dominican Republic
by Ugalde, Antonio
- 451-459 The supply and utilization of dental services
by Groenewegen, P. P. & Postma, J. H. M.
- 461-465 Experiences of puberty development
by Shore, Lisbeth
- 467-469 Health promotion in general practice: New themes in traditional settings
by Mant, Andrea & Cripps, Ann L. & Breden, Margaret & Lawson, J. G.
- 471-473 Population mobility, urban development and dracunculiasis in Kwara State, Nigeria
by Watts, Susan J.
- 475-478 Risks, survival and trends of malignant melanoma among white and blue collar workers in Sweden
by Vågerö, Denny & Persson, Gunnar
1984, Volume 19, Issue 3
- 183-184 Introduction
by Bloom, Abby L. & Reid, Janice
- 185-192 Citizen participation overplanned: The case of a health project in the Guatemalan community of San Pedro La Laguna
by Paul, Benjamin D. & Demarest, William J.
- 193-198 Can socio-cultural information improve health planning? A case study of Nepal's assistant nurse-midwife
by Justice, Judith
- 199-208 Primary health care in Sierra Leone
by MacCormack, Carol P.
- 209-216 Dilemmas of modernization in primary health care in Western Samoa
by Schoeffel, Penelope
- 217-224 Will primary health care efforts be allowed to succeed?
by Heggenhougen, H. K.
- 225-235 Evaluating primary health care and nutrition programs in the context of national development
by Marchione, Thomas J.
- 237-252 Project community diagnosis: Participatory research as a first step toward community involvement in primary health care
by Nichter, Mark
- 253-260 Ethnomedicine and oral rehydration therapy: A case study of ethnomedical investigation and program planning
by Kendall, Carl & Foote, Dennis & Martorell, Reynaldo
- 261-271 Strategies and outcomes of introducing a mental health plan in Brazil
by Richeport, Madeleine
- 273-277 Appropriate research for primary health care: An anthropologist's view
by Buzzard, Shirley
- 279-290 Peripheral health workers are central to primary health care: Lessons from Papua New Guinea's aid posts
by Frankel, Stephen
- 291-303 The role of maternal and child health clinics in education and prevention: A case study from Papua New Guinea
by Reid, Janice
1984, Volume 19, Issue 2
- 77-84 Gender differences in mental and physical illness: The effects of fixed roles and nurturant roles
by Gove, Walter R.
- 84-88 Teetering on the horns of a dilemma: Professor gove's latest paper on sex differences in illness behavior
by Marcus, Alfred C. & Seeman, Teresa E. & Telesky, Carol W.
- 88-91 On understanding illness, illness behavior and reading what has been written: a reply to Marcus, Seeman and Telesky
by Gove, Walter R.
- 93-115 Unemployment and suicidal behaviour: A review of the literature
by Platt, Stephen
- 117-122 To protect the public: Professionalism vs competence in dentistry
by Jago, J. D.
- 123-130 General practice, ethnicity and health services delivery
by Rathwell, Tom
- 131-134 Attitudes of a group of Egyptian medical students towards family planning
by El-Mehairy, Theresa
- 135-146 Managing medical mistakes: Ideology, insularity and accountability among internists-in-training
by Mizrahi, Terry
- 147-155 Illness behaviour: An exploration of determinants
by Gail Frankel, B. & Nuttall, Sandy
- 157-162 Advice from the obstetrician and other sources: Do they affect women's breast feeding practices? a study among different Jewish groups in Jerusalem
by Mansbach, Ivonne K. & Palti, Hava & Pevsner, Bella & Pridan, Helen & Palti, Zvi
- 163-166 Interaction between the socio-demographic variables of physicians and their patients: Its impact upon patient satisfaction
by Murphy-Cullen, Cassie L. & Larsen, Lars C.
- 167-175 What is a successful doctor-patient interview? a study of interactions and outcomes
by Stewart, Moira A.
- 177-182 Nutritional thriftiness and human reproduction: Beyond the critical body composition hypothesis
by Quandt, Sara A.
1984, Volume 19, Issue 1
- 1-7 Some personal observations on health policy in Iran, 1973-1978
by Andreano, Ralph
- 9-18 Doctor-patient interaction, patients' health behavior and effects of treatment
by Heszen-Klemens, Irena & Lapinska, Elzbieta
- 19-25 The effect of disability insurance on health care demand
by Slade, Frederic P.
- 27-57 Hypothesis of leprosy, tuberculosis and urbanization in Africa
by Hunter, John M. & Thomas, Morris O.
- 59-65 Relationships between physical and psychological symptomatology in the 22-item Langner's scale
by De Marco, Roberto
1984, Volume 18, Issue 12
- 1011-1018 Diuretics in pregnancy: A case study of a worthless therapy
by Hemminki, Elina
- 1019-1025 Differences among practitioners in patterns of preference for information sources in the adoption of new drugs
by Peay, Marilyn Y. & Peay, Edmund R.
- 1027-1036 Early discharge and return to work following myocardial infarction
by Stewart, Miriam J. & Gregor, Frances M.
- 1037-1044 Life events or life processes as determinants of mental strain? A 5-year follow-up study
by Aro, Seppo & Hänninen, Vilma
- 1045-1052 The organizational foundations of nursing roles: An empirical assessment
by Alexander, Jeffrey
- 1053-1059 Perceived likeability and competence of simulated patients: Influence on physicians' management plans
by Gerbert, Barbara
- 1061-1062 An outbreak of Shigellosis in an ultra-orthodox Jewish community
by Porter, B. & Schinder, E. & Nagar, H. & Gilad, Y. & Torek, V.
- 1063-1069 Games that professionals play: The social psychology of physician-nurse interaction
by Tellis-Nayak, M. & Tellis-Nayak, V.
- 1071-1079 Traditional healers in Swaziland: Toward improved cooperation between the traditional and modern health sectors
by Green, Edward C. & Makhubu, Lydia
- 1081-1088 The meaning of touch in care practice
by Pratt, John W & Mason, Allen
- 1089-1093 Psychological side-effects of the mass screening on cervical cancer
by Reelick, N. F. & de Haes, W. F. M. & Schuurman, J. H.
- 1103-1103 Letter to the editor
by Hamel, J. L.
1984, Volume 18, Issue 11
- 899-900 Introduction
by Krupinski, Jerzy
- 901-907 Australia's environment and its influences on health
by Brownlea, A. A. & Taylor, C. M.
- 909-917 The social distribution of illness: Is Australia more equal?
by Broom, Dorothy H.
- 919-925 Health patterns in New Zealand: Class, ethnicity and the impact of economic development
by Davis, Peter
- 927-937 Changing patterns of migration to Australia and their influence on the health of migrants
by Krupinski, Jerzy
- 939-948 Australian aboriginal health and health-care
by Thomson, Neil
- 949-958 A comparative analysis of Australian health policy in the 1970s
by Najman, J. M. & Western, J. S.
- 959-966 Structural interests and Australian health policy
by Duckett, S. J.
- 967-972 The cost of health care and health insurance in Australia: Some problems associated with the fee-for-service system
by Opit, L. J.
- 973-980 Medical politics: Decline in the hegemony of the Australian Medical Association?
by Hunter, Thelma
- 981-989 Equity, access and resource allocation: Planning hospital services in New Zealand
by Barnett, J. Ross
- 991-996 Rural psychiatric services in Western Australia
by Burvill, P. W. & Stampfer, H. & Reymond, J.
- 997-1004 Community vs institutional care: The case of the Australian aged
by Gibson, D. M. & Rowland, D. T.
- 1005-1010 Community orientated treatment compared to psychiatric hospital orientated treatment
by Hoult, John & Rosen, Alan & Reynolds, Ingrid
1984, Volume 18, Issue 10
- 809-817 Medical technology and professional dominance theory
by Greer, Ann Lennarson
- 819-825 Client characteristics at Kissy Mental Hospital, Freetown, Sierra Leone
by Gesler, Wilbert M. & Nahim, E. A.
- 827-837 Lay consulation of older people
by Furstenberg, Anne Linda & Davis, Linda J.
- 839-844 Knowledge, attitude and practice of family planning in Hausa women
by Rehan, Naghma
- 845-846 Research priorities for medical anthropologists in the 1980s
by DeWalt, Kathleen M. & van Willigen, John
- 847-854 Anthropological research perspectives on health problems in developing countries
by Foster, George M.
- 855-859 Population and health in the developing world: Research perspectives for medical anthropologists
by Ford, Thomas R. & Arcury, Thomas A.
- 861-871 The challenge of comparative health policy research for applied medical anthropology
by Hill, Carole E.
- 873-880 The informative content of diagnostic tests: An economic analysis
by Eeckhoudt, Louis R. & Lebrun, Thérèse C. & Sailly, Jean-Claude L.
- 881-888 Effects of public education about breast cancer and breast self-examination
by Siero, Sjef & Kok, Gerjo & Pruyn, Jean
- 889-898 Stress and coping in the explanation of psychological adjustment among chronically ill adults
by Felton, Barbara J. & Revenson, Tracey A. & Hinrichsen, Gregory A.
1984, Volume 18, Issue 9
- 707-712 Medical advice books: The search for the healthy body
by Stoeckle, John D.