Long-run factors of firm growth - a study of German firms
AbstractThis paper investigates whether the economic factors that are related to firm growth in the literature also determine the development path of firms. This means that we test which economic factors possess the ability to remain effective for a longer period of time. We examine three variables: firm size, innovation effort and export share. To this end, we use panel-data on 178 German manufacturing firms over the period from 1992 to 2007. We find that the determinants of permanent growth path are not the same as the determinants of firm growth at one point in time. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), Department of Economics and Business Engineering in its series Working Paper Series in Economics with number 21.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
firm growth; firm growth paths; firm size; export; innovation effort;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-05-07 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2011-05-07 (Business Economics)
- NEP-COM-2011-05-07 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-CSE-2011-05-07 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-ENT-2011-05-07 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-EUR-2011-05-07 (Microeconomic European Issues)
- NEP-SBM-2011-05-07 (Small Business Management)
- NEP-TID-2011-05-07 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- André van Stel & Mickey Folkeringa & Joris Meijaard & Lorraine Uhlaner, 2007. "The relationship between knowledge management, innovation and firm performance: evidence from Dutch SMEs," Scales Research Reports H200704, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Del Monte, Alfredo & Papagni, Erasmo, 2003. "R&D and the growth of firms: empirical analysis of a panel of Italian firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 1003-1014, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.