Likelihood-Based Estimation of a Proportional-Hazard, Competing- Risk Model with Grouped Duration Data
AbstractThis short paper demonstrates two important results related to the estimation of competing-risk models under the proportional-hazards assumption with grouped duration data. First I show that the model with non-parametric baseline hazards is unidentifiable with only grouped duration data. Therefore one has to make functional form assumption for any meaningful inference. Secondly I demonstrate that under some parametric assumption such as piecewise constant baseline hazards, the sample likelihood function has explicit analytical form. Therefore there is no need for approximation. The approximation formula adopted by Deng et al (2000) and religiously followed by others is only a quasi likelihood function.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Urban/Regional with number 0407013.
Length: 11 pages
Date of creation: 30 Jul 2004
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 11
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://184.108.40.206
competing risk models; duration models; default risk;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark Yuying An, 2000. "A Semiparametric Distribution for Willingness to Pay and Statistical Inference with Dichotomous Choice Contingent Valuation Data," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(3), pages 487-500.
- Sueyoshi, Glenn T., 1992. "Semiparametric proportional hazards estimation of competing risks models with time-varying covariates," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 51(1-2), pages 25-58.
- Yongheng Deng & John M. Quigley & Robert Van Order, .
"Mortgage Terminations, Heterogeneity and the Exercise of Mortgage Options,"
Zell/Lurie Center Working Papers
322, Wharton School Samuel Zell and Robert Lurie Real Estate Center, University of Pennsylvania.
- Yongheng Deng & John M. Quigley & Robert Van Order, 2000. "Mortgage Terminations, Heterogeneity and the Exercise of Mortgage Options," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(2), pages 275-308, March.
- Deng, Yongheng & Quigley, John M. & Van Order, Robert, 1999. "Mortgage Terminations, Heterogeneity, and the Exercise of Mortgage Options," Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy, Working Paper Series qt96r560pg, Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy.
- Mark Yuying An, 1996.
"Statistical Inference of a Bivariate Proportional Hazard Model with Grouped Data,"
- Yuying An, M., 1998. "Statistical Inference of a Bivariate Proportional Hazard Model with Grouped Data," Papers 98-12, Centre for Labour Market and Social Research, Danmark-.
- An, Mark Yuying, 1996. "Statistical Inference of a Bivariate Proportional Hazard Model with Grouped Data," Working Papers 96-06, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Han, Aaron & Hausman, Jerry A, 1990. "Flexible Parametric Estimation of Duration and Competing Risk Models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(1), pages 1-28, January-M.
- McCall, Brian P, 1996.
"Unemployment Insurance Rules, Joblessness, and Part-Time Work,"
Econometric Society, vol. 64(3), pages 647-82, May.
- McCall, B.P., 1993. "Unemployment Insurance Rules, Joblessness, and Part-Time Work," Papers 93-07, Minnesota - Industrial Relations Center.
- Brent W. Ambrose & Michael LaCour-Little, 2001. "Prepayment Risk in Adjustable Rate Mortgages Subject to Initial Year Discounts: Some New Evidence," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 29(2), pages 305-327.
- Bidisha Chakrabarty & Zhaohui Han & Konstantin Tyurin & Xiaoyong Zheng, 2006. "A Competing Risk Analysis of Executions and Cancellations in a Limit Order Market," Caepr Working Papers 2006-015, Center for Applied Economics and Policy Research, Economics Department, Indiana University Bloomington.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.