Statistical Inference of a Bivariate Proportional Hazard Model with Grouped Data
AbstractThis paper studies the estimation of a semiparametric bivariate proportional hazard model from event time data under interval censoring. As a direct generalization of the bivariate exponential distribution of Marshall and Olkin, the model, on the one hand, controls for the effects of observed covariates, and on the other, achieves great flexibility through nonparametrically specified baseline hazards. The model is most relevant in analyzing the joint distribution of two event times arising from "systems of two components". Examples include the two infection times of the left and the right kidneys of patients and the two retirement times of married couples. To estimate this semiparametric model from grouped data, we propose a maximum likelihood estimator and a minimum chi-square estimator. Both estimation methods exploit the fact that the most flexible model structure that can be identified with grouped data is finite-dimensional. Compared with the maximum likelihood estimation, the minimum chi-square procedure is computationally more attractive but applies only to "many observations per cell" cases where the covariates are either categorical or amendable to sensible grouping. Specification tests for different model assumptions are also discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Duke University, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 96-06.
Date of creation: 1996
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics Duke University 213 Social Sciences Building Box 90097 Durham, NC 27708-0097
Phone: (919) 660-1800
Fax: (919) 684-8974
Web page: http://econ.duke.edu/
Other versions of this item:
- Mark Yuying An, 1996. "Statistical Inference of a Bivariate Proportional Hazard Model with Grouped Data," Econometrics 9611005, EconWPA.
- Yuying An, M., 1998. "Statistical Inference of a Bivariate Proportional Hazard Model with Grouped Data," Papers 98-12, Centre for Labour Market and Social Research, Danmark-.
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C41 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Duration Analysis; Optimal Timing Strategies
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- An, Mark Yuying & Ayala, Roberto A., 1996.
"Nonparametric Estimation of a Survivor Function with Across-Interval-Censored Data,"
96-02, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Mark Yuying An & Roberto Ayala, 1996. "Nonparametric Estimation of a Survivor Function with Across- Interval-Censored Data," Econometrics 9611003, EconWPA.
- An, Mark Yuying, 1996.
"Semiparametric Estimation of Willingness to Pay Distributions,"
96-20, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Mark Yuying An, 1996. "Semiparametric Estimation of Willingness to Pay Distributions," Econometrics 9611001, EconWPA.
- Ortega, Jaime, 2000.
"Job Rotation as a Mechanism for Learning,"
CLS Working Papers
00-4, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Centre for Labour Market and Social Research.
- Ramkishen S. Rejan, 1998. "The Currency And Financial Crisis In Southeast Asia - A Case Of `Sudden Deathã¢Â‚¬Â„¢ Or `Death Foretoldã¢Â‚¬Â„¢," Macroeconomics Working Papers 22381, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Pedersen, Peder J. & Smith, Nina, 2001. "International Migration and Migration policy in Denmark," CLS Working Papers 01-5, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Centre for Labour Market and Social Research.
- Mark Yuying An, 2004. "Likelihood-Based Estimation of a Proportional-Hazard, Competing- Risk Model with Grouped Duration Data," Urban/Regional 0407013, EconWPA.
- Westergaard-Nielsen, Niels, 2001. "Danish Labour Market Policy: Is it worth it?," CLS Working Papers 01-10, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Centre for Labour Market and Social Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Department of Economics Webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.