A Semiparametric Distribution for Willingness to Pay and Statistical Inference with Dichotomous Choice Contingent Valuation Data
AbstractThis paper proposes a semiparametric willingness to pay distribution and discusses several aspects of statistical inference with dichotomous choice contingent valuation data. We study likelihood-based estimation of the model parameters with and without controlling for unobserved heterogeneity, estimation of the mean and median willingness to pay, and specification tests. These statistical procedures are implemented using a data set. In this application we find that a parametric model is rejected in favor of our semiparametric model, that the heterogeneity can be adequately controlled using a simple density, and that the semiparametric model offers more robust mean willingness to pay estimates. Copyright 2000, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 82 (2000)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Pere Riera & Raúl Brey & Guillermo Gándara, 2008. "Bid design for non-parametric contingent valuation with a single bounded dichotomous choice format," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 186(3), pages 43-60, October.
- Torero, Maximo & Chowdhury, Shyamal K. & Galdo, Virgilio, 2003. "Willingness to pay for the rural telephone service in Bangladesh and Peru," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 327-361, September.
- Mark Y. An & Bent Jesper Christensen & Nabanita Datta Gupta, 2004. "Multivariate mixed proportional hazard modelling of the joint retirement of married couples," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(6), pages 687-704.
- Arthur Lewbel & Oliver Linton & D. L. McFadden, 2006.
"Estimating features of a distribution from binomial data,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
4418, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Lewbel, Arthur & McFadden, Daniel & Linton, Oliver, 2011. "Estimating features of a distribution from binomial data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 162(2), pages 170-188, June.
- Arthur Lewbel & Oliver Linton & Daniel McFadden, 2001. "Estimating features of a distribution from binomial data," CeMMAP working papers CWP07/01, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Arthur Lewbel & Daniel McFadden & Oliver Linton, 1997. "Estimating Features of a Distribution from Binomial Data," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 442, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 01 Jul 2010.
- José Sanz & Luis Herrero & Ana Bedate, 2003. "Contingent Valuation and Semiparametric Methods: A Case Study of the National Museum of Sculpture in Valladolid, Spain," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 27(3), pages 241-257, November.
- Mark Yuying An, 2004. "Likelihood-Based Estimation of a Proportional-Hazard, Competing- Risk Model with Grouped Duration Data," Urban/Regional 0407013, EconWPA.
- Arana, Jorge E. & Leon, Carmelo J., 2005. "Flexible mixture distribution modeling of dichotomous choice contingent valuation with heterogenity," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 170-188, July.
- Satimanon, Monthien & Lupi, Frank, 2010. "Comparison of Approaches to Estimating Demand for Payment for Environmental Services," 2010 Annual Meeting, July 25-27, 2010, Denver, Colorado 61288, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Lamiraud, Karine & von Bremen, Konrade & Donaldson, Cam, 2009.
"The impact of information on patient preferences in different delivery patterns: A contingent valuation study of prescription versus OTC drugs,"
Elsevier, vol. 93(2-3), pages 102-110, December.
- Karine Lamiraud & Konrade von Bremen & Cam Donaldson, 2009. "The impact of information on patient preferences in different delivery patterns : a contingent valuation study of prescription versus OTC drugs," Working Papers 0901, University of Lausanne, Institute of Health Economics and Management (IEMS).
- Álvarez Díaz, Marcos & González Gómez, Manuel & Saavedra González, Ángeles & De Uña Álvarez, Jacobo, 2010. "On dichotomous choice contingent valuation data analysis: Semiparametric methods and Genetic Programming," Journal of Forest Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 145-156, April.
- Halkos, George, 2012. "The use of contingent valuation in assessing marine and coastal ecosystems’ water quality: A review," MPRA Paper 42183, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Huang, Ju-Chin & Nychka, Douglas W. & Smith, V. Kerry, 2008. "Semi-parametric discrete choice measures of willingness to pay," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 101(1), pages 91-94, October.
- Bergtold, Jason S. & Taylor, Daniel B. & Bosch, Darrell J., 2003. "Networking Your Way to a Better Prediction: Effectively Modeling Contingent Valuation Survey Data," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22152, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Jorge E. Arana & Carmelo J. Leon, 2004. "Baysian Flexible Mixture Distribution Modelling of Dichotomous Choice Contingent Valuation with Heterogeneity," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 568, Econometric Society.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.