Statistical Inference of a Bivariate Proportional Hazard Model with Grouped Data
AbstractThis paper studies the estimation of a semiparametric bivariate proportional hazard model from event time data under interval censoring. As a direct generalization of the bivariate exponential distribution of Marshall and Olkin, the model, on the one hand, controls for the effects of observed covariates, and on the other, achieves great flexibility through nonparametrically specified baseline hazards. The model is most relevant in analyzing the joint distribution of two event times arising from "systems of two components". Examples include the two infection times of the left and the right kidneys of patients and the two retirement times of married couples. To estimate this semiparametric model from grouped data, we propose a maximum likelihood estimator and a minimum chi-square estimator. Both estimation methods exploit the fact that the most flexible model structure that can be identified with grouped data is finite-dimensional. Compared with the maximum likelihood estimation, the minimum chi-square procedure is computationally more attractive but applies only to "many observations per cell" cases where the covariates are either categorical or amendable to sensible grouping. Specification tests for different model assumptions are also discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Econometrics with number 9611005.
Length: 22 pages
Date of creation: 17 Nov 1996
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - laTex; prepared on UNIX Sparc TeX; to print on PostScript; pages: 22 ; figures: request from author. We never published this piece and now we would like to reduce our mailing and xerox cost by posting it.
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://126.96.36.199
Proportional Hazard; Bivariate Durations; Grouped Data;
Other versions of this item:
- Yuying An, M., 1998. "Statistical Inference of a Bivariate Proportional Hazard Model with Grouped Data," Papers 98-12, Centre for Labour Market and Social Research, Danmark-.
- An, Mark Yuying, 1996. "Statistical Inference of a Bivariate Proportional Hazard Model with Grouped Data," Working Papers 96-06, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- C41 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Duration Analysis; Optimal Timing Strategies
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- An, Mark Yuying, 1996.
"Semiparametric Estimation of Willingness to Pay Distributions,"
96-20, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Mark Yuying An, 1996. "Semiparametric Estimation of Willingness to Pay Distributions," Econometrics 9611001, EconWPA.
- Mark Yuying An & Roberto Ayala, 1996.
"Nonparametric Estimation of a Survivor Function with Across- Interval-Censored Data,"
- An, Mark Yuying & Ayala, Roberto A., 1996. "Nonparametric Estimation of a Survivor Function with Across-Interval-Censored Data," Working Papers 96-02, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Mark Yuying An, 2004. "Likelihood-Based Estimation of a Proportional-Hazard, Competing- Risk Model with Grouped Duration Data," Urban/Regional 0407013, EconWPA.
- Pedersen, Peder J. & Smith, Nina, 2001. "International Migration and Migration policy in Denmark," CLS Working Papers 01-5, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Centre for Labour Market and Social Research.
- Ortega, J., 2000.
"Job Rotation as a Mechanism for Learning,"
00-04, Centre for Labour Market and Social Research, Danmark-.
- Westergaard-Nielsen, Niels, 2001. "Danish Labour Market Policy: Is it worth it?," CLS Working Papers 01-10, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Centre for Labour Market and Social Research.
- Ramkishen S. Rejan, 1998. "The Currency And Financial Crisis In Southeast Asia - A Case Of `Sudden Deathã¢Â‚¬Â„¢ Or `Death Foretoldã¢Â‚¬Â„¢," Macroeconomics Working Papers 22381, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.