Irrigation Technology Adoption and Gains from Water Trading under Asymmetric Information
AbstractWe develop a water allocation and irrigation technology adoption model under the prior appropriation doctrine with asymmetric information among heterogeneous farmers and between farmers and water authorities; farmers’ heterogeneity is defined by a mix of land quality and knowledge. We find that adverse selection reduces the adoption of modern irrigation technology. We also show that even with asymmetric information, incentives for water trade exist and lead to additional technology adoption with gains to all parties. This suggests that under asymmetric information, a thin secondary market improves the allocation of water resources and induces additional adoption of modern irrigation technologies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Others with number 0409005.
Length: 35 pages
Date of creation: 11 Sep 2004
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 35. Forthcoming in: American Journal of Agricultural Economics
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://22.214.171.124
Asymmetric information; Irrigation technology; Technology adoption; Water trading.;
Other versions of this item:
- Chokri Dridi & Madhu Khanna, 2005. "Irrigation Technology Adoption and Gains from Water Trading under Asymmetric Information," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(2), pages 289-301.
- P - Economic Systems
- Q - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics
- Z - Other Special Topics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Burness, H Stuart & Quirk, James P, 1980. "Water Law, Water Transfers, and Economic Efficiency: The Colorado River," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 23(1), pages 111-34, April.
- R. Maria Saleth & John B. Braden & J. Wayland Eheart, 1991. "Bargaining Rules for a Thin Spot Water Market," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 67(3), pages 326-339.
- Khanna, Madhu & Isik, Murat & Zilberman, David, 2002. "Cost-effectiveness of alternative green payment policies for conservation technology adoption with heterogeneous land quality," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 27(2), pages 157-174, August.
- Janis M. Carey & David Zilberman, 2002. "A Model of Investment under Uncertainty: Modern Irrigation Technology and Emerging Markets in Water," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(1), pages 171-183.
- Livingston, Marie Leigh & DEC, 1993. "Designing water institutions : market failures and institutional response," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1227, The World Bank.
- Gresik, Thomas A., 1991. "Ex ante efficient, ex post individually rational trade," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 131-145, February.
- David Zilberman & Neal Macdougall & Farhed Shah, 1994. "Changes In Water Allocation Mechanisms For California Agriculture," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 12(1), pages 122-133, 01.
- Dinar, Ariel & Letey, J., 1991. "Agricultural water marketing, allocative efficiency, and drainage reduction," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 210-223, May.
- Margarita Genius & Phoebe Koundouri & Celine Nauges & Vangelis Tzouvelekas, 2012.
"Information Transmission in Irrigation Technology Adoption and Diffusion: Social Learning, Extension Services and Spatial Effects,"
1211, University of Crete, Department of Economics, revised 30 Apr 2013.
- Margarita Genius & Phoebe Koundouri & Celine Nauges & Vangelis Tzouvelekas, . "Information Transmission in Irrigation Technology Adoption and Diffusion: Social Learning, Extension Services, and Spatial Effects," DEOS Working Papers 1329, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Margarita Genius & Phoebe Koundouri & Celine Nauges & Vangelis TZOUVELEKAS, .
"Information Spillovers in Irrigation Technology Diffusion: Social Learning, Extension Visits and Spatial Effects,"
DEOS Working Papers
1319, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Vangelis TZOUVELEKAS & Celine Nauges & Phoebe Koundouri & Margarita Genius, . "Information Spillovers in Irrigation Technology Diffusion: Social Learning, Extension Visits and Spatial Effects," DEOS Working Papers 1133, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Sauer, Johannes & Zilberman, David, 2009.
"Innovation behaviour at farm level: Selection and identification,"
49th Annual Conference, Kiel, Germany, September 30-October 2, 2009
53276, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Sauer, Johannes & Zilberman, David, 2010. "Innovation Behaviour At Farm Level – Selection And Identification," 114th Seminar, April 15-16, 2010, Berlin, Germany 61354, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Sauer, Johannes & Zilberman, David, 2009. "Innovation Behaviour At Farm Level – Selection And Identification," 83rd Annual Conference, March 30-April 1, 2009, Dublin, Ireland 51073, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Veettil, Prakashan Chellattan & Speelman, Stijn & Frija, Aymen & Buysse, Jeroen & van Huylenbroeck, Guido, 2011. "Complementarity between water pricing, water rights and local water governance: A Bayesian analysis of choice behaviour of farmers in the Krishna river basin, India," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(10), pages 1756-1766, August.
- Viaggi, D. & Raggi, M. & Bartolini, F. & Gallerani, V., 2010. "Designing contracts for irrigation water under asymmetric information: Are simple pricing mechanisms enough?," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 97(9), pages 1326-1332, September.
- Dridi, Chokri & Khanna, Madhu, 2005. "Political Economy and Irrigation Technology Adoption Implications of Water Pricing under Asymmetric Information," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19348, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Phoebe Koundouri & Celine Nauges & Vangelis TZOUVELEKAS, .
"The Effect Of Production Uncertainty And Information Dissemination On The Diffusion Of Irrigation Technologies,"
DEOS Working Papers
1009, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Koundouri, Phoebe & Nauges, Céline & Tzouvelekas, Vangelis, 2009. "The Effect of Production Uncertainty and Information Dissemination of the Diffusion of Irrigation Technologies," TSE Working Papers 09-032, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- KOUNDOURI Phoebe & NAUGES CÃ©line & TZOUVELEKAS Vangelis, 2009. "The Effect Of Production Uncertainty And Information Dissemination On The Diffusion Of Irrigation Technologies," LERNA Working Papers 09.06.282, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
- Sauer, Johannes & Zilberman, David D., 2009. "Innovation behaviour at micro level - selection and identification," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt6t49r0fh, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.