Price Effects of Regulation: Telecommunications, Air Passenger Transport and Electricity Supply
AbstractPrice Effects of Regulation draws on research undertaken at the OECD to quantify the effects of domestic regulatory regimes on prices in up to 50 economies for 3 sectors — international air passenger transport, telecommunications and electricity supply. The study finds wide variations in regulatory regimes across economies for each sector. The results suggest a positive relationship between the stringency of regulatory regimes and higher prices in each sector. For example, the bilateral system of restrictions on the number of air passenger flights between countries and the conditions under which they operate are estimated to collectively increase airfares by between 3 and 22 per cent.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Others with number 0110004.
Length: 128 pages
Date of creation: 19 Oct 2001
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - Word 97; prepared on IBM PC; to print on HP; pages: 128 ; figures: included
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://126.96.36.199
regulation - price effects - telecommunications - air transport - airlines - electricity - trade restrictions;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- P - Economic Systems
- Q - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics
- Z - Other Special Topics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Faye Steiner, 2000. "Regulation, Industry Structure and Performance in the Electricity Supply Industry," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 238, OECD Publishing.
- Chris Sayers & Dianne Shields, 2001. "Electricity prices and cost factors," Others 0108001, EconWPA.
- George Verikios & Xiao-guang Zhang, 2001. "Global Gains from Liberalising Trade in Telecommunications and Financial Services," Others 0110005, EconWPA.
- Robert Stern, 2005. "The Place of Services in the World Economy," Working Papers 530, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Alan V. Deardorff & Robert M. Stern, 2003. "Empirical Analysis of Barriers to International Services Transactions and the Consequences of Liberalization," Working Papers 505, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.