Cournot Competition and Spatial Agglomeration
AbstractRecent work suggest that Cournot oligopolists competing in a spatial model, with uniform distribution of consumers, agglomerate at the center of the market. This paper analyzes the robustness of this result with a general symmetric distribution of consumers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Microeconomics with number 9402002.
Date of creation: 04 Feb 1994
Date of revision:
Note: VVdecode (0.97 beta) then PKUNZIP (1.93 or later) to yield WordPerfect 5.1 file formatted for HP Inkjet.
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://18.104.22.168
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D1 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior
- D2 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations
- D3 - Microeconomics - - Distribution
- D4 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lederer, Phillip J & Hurter, Arthur P, Jr, 1986. "Competition of Firms: Discriminatory Pricing and Location," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(3), pages 623-40, May.
- Holahan, William L, 1975. "The Welfare Effects of Spatial Price Discrimination," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(3), pages 498-503, June.
- James A. Brander & Paul Krugman, 1983.
"A 'Reciprocal Dumping' Model of International Trade,"
NBER Working Papers
1194, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brander, James & Krugman, Paul, 1983. "A 'reciprocal dumping' model of international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(3-4), pages 313-321, November.
- James Brander & Paul Krugman, 1982. "A 'Reciprocal Dumping' Model of International Trade," Working Papers 513, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- James Brander & Paul Krugman, 1980. "A "Reciprocal Dumping" Model of International Trade," Working Papers 405, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Martin J Osborne & Carolyn Pitchik, 1985.
"Equilibrium in Hotelling's Model of Spatial Competition,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
1985-02, McMaster University.
- Osborne, Martin J & Pitchik, Carolyn, 1987. "Equilibrium in Hotelling's Model of Spatial Competition," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(4), pages 911-22, July.
- Norman, George, 1981. "Spatial Competition and Spatial Price Discrimination," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(1), pages 97-111, January.
- Anderson, Simon P. & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1988.
"Price discrimination in spatial competitive markets,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 32(2-3), pages 578-590, March.
- ANDERSON, Simon P. & THISSE, Jacques-François, . "Price discrimination in spatial competitive markets," CORE Discussion Papers RP -794, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Neven, Damien J & Phlips, Louis, 1985.
"Discriminating Oligopolists and Common Markets,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(2), pages 133-49, December.
- Neven, D. & Phlips, L., 1984. "Discriminating oligopolists and common markets," CORE Discussion Papers 1984022, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- NEVEN, Damien & PHLIPS, Louis, . "Discriminating oligopolists and common markets," CORE Discussion Papers RP -666, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Anderson, Simon P & Neven, Damien J, 1991. "Cournot Competition Yields Spatial Agglomeration," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 32(4), pages 793-808, November.
- Hamilton, Jonathan H. & Thisse, Jacques-Francois & Weskamp, Anita, 1989.
"Spatial discrimination : Bertrand vs. Cournot in a model of location choice,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 87-102, February.
- HAMILTON, Jonathan H. & THISSE, Jacques-François & WESKAMP, Anita, . "Spatial discrimination. Bertrand vs. Cournot in a model of location choice," CORE Discussion Papers RP -846, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Greenhut, John G & Greenhut, M L, 1975. "Spatial Price Discrimination, Competition and Locational Effects," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 42(168), pages 401-19, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.