Defense Spending and economic growth in Turkey: an empirical application of new macroeconomic theory
AbstractThis study prsents new empirical evidence on the relationship between the level of of economic growth and defense expenditures in the case of Turkey for the period of 1950-2002. On using new macroeconomic and multivariate cointegration procedure, this study demonstrates empirically that there exists apositive relationship between aggregate defense spending and aggregate output in Turkey. In addition, the CUSUM and CUSUMSQ tests confirm the stability of aggregateb output function. The results obtained from this study are, by and large, in line with the previous studies concerning Turkey.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Macroeconomics with number 0504011.
Date of creation: 06 Apr 2005
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://188.8.131.52
aggregate output; aggregate defense spending; cointegration; stability tests; Turkey;
Other versions of this item:
- Halicioglu Ferda, 2004. "Defense Spending and Economic Growth in Turkey: An Empirical Application of New Macroeconomic Theory," Review of Middle East Economics and Finance, De Gruyter, vol. 2(3), pages 34-43, December.
- E69 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Other
- E60 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - General
- H50 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gulay Gunluk-Senesen, 2002. "Budgetary trade-offs of security expenditures in Turkey," Defence and Peace Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(5), pages 385-403.
- Johansen, Søren & Juselius, Katarina, 1992. "Testing structural hypotheses in a multivariate cointegration analysis of the PPP and the UIP for UK," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1-3), pages 211-244.
- Biswas, Basudeb & Ram, Rati, 1986. "Military Expenditures and Economic Growth in Less Developed Countries: An Augmented Model and Further Evidence," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 34(2), pages 361-72, January.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Pierre Perron, 1986.
"Testing for a Unit Root in Time Series Regression,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
795R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Sep 1987.
- Tom Doan, . "PPUNIT: RATS procedure to perform Phillips-Perron Unit Root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00160, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Phillips, P.C.B., 1986. "Testing for a Unit Root in Time Series Regression," Cahiers de recherche 8633, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Benoit, Emile, 1978. "Growth and Defense in Developing Countries," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(2), pages 271-80, January.
- Selami Sezgin, 1997. "Country survey X: Defence spending in Turkey," Defence and Peace Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(4), pages 381-409.
- Feder, Gershon, 1983. "On exports and economic growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1-2), pages 59-73.
- Deger, Saadet, 1986. "Economic Development and Defense Expenditure," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 35(1), pages 179-96, October.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- David Romer, 2000.
"Keynesian Macroeconomics without the LM Curve,"
NBER Working Papers
7461, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John B. Taylor, 2000. "Teaching Modern Macroeconomics at the Principles Level," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(2), pages 90-94, May.
- Jurgen Brauer, 2002. "Survey and Review of the Defense Economics Literature on Greece and Turkey: What Have We Learned?," Defence and Peace Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(2), pages 85-107.
- Gonzalo, Jesus, 1994. "Five alternative methods of estimating long-run equilibrium relationships," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1-2), pages 203-233.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Tiwari, Aviral & Shahbaz, Muhammad, 2011. "Does Defence Spending Stimulate Economic Growth in India?," MPRA Paper 30880, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 18 Apr 2011.
- Shahbaz, Muhammad & Leitão, Nuno Carlos & Uddin, Gazi Salah & Arouri, Mohamed & Teulon, Frédéric, 2013.
"Should Portuguese economy invest in defense spending? A revisit,"
Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 805-815.
- Muhammad, Shahbaz & Nuno, Carlos Leitão & Ghazi, Salah Uddin, 2012. "Should Portuguese Economy Invest in Defense Spending? A Revisit," MPRA Paper 42289, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 26 Oct 2012.
- Shahbaz Muhammad & Carlos Leitao Nuno & Salah Uddin Ghazi & Mohamed Arouri & Frederic Teulon, 2014. "Should Portuguese Economy Invest in Defense Spending? A Revisit," Working Papers 2014-380, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
- Ageli, Mohammed Moosa & Zaidan, Shatha Mousa, 2012. "Consequential Effects of Defence Expenditure on Economic Growth of Saudi Arabia: 1970-2012," MPRA Paper 46590, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kimbambu Tsasa Vangu, Jean - Paul, 2012.
"Analyse de la Relation Guerres Civiles et Croissance Économique
[Civil Wars and Economic Growth in DRC]," MPRA Paper 42424, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 05 Feb 2012.
- Shahbaz, Muhammad & Afza, Talat & Shabbir, Shahbaz Muhammad, 2011.
"Does defence spending impede economic growth? cointegration and causality analysis for Pakistan,"
30887, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 27 Mar 2011.
- Muhammad Shahbaz & Talat Afza & Muhammad Shahbaz Shabbir, 2013. "Does Defence Spending Impede Economic Growth? Cointegration And Causality Analysis For Pakistan," Defence and Peace Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(2), pages 105-120, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.