Quality of Information and Oligopolistic Price Discrimination
AbstractWe investigate how the endogenous acquisition of information, of a certain quality level, on consumers' willingness to pay (location) affects the equilibrium prices and welfare in a spatial price discrimination model. By varying the information quality we are able to obtain the equilibrium in the game for all levels of price discrimination and in the limit the case of perfect price discrimination. This gives us insights about equilibrium behavior in markets where: 1) Information on consumer characteristics is used by the firms to facilitate price discrimination and 2) The quality of information is constantly improving due to advances of the information technology (IT).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Industrial Organization with number 0203004.
Length: 48 pages
Date of creation: 06 Mar 2002
Date of revision: 06 Mar 2002
Note: Type of Document - pdf; prepared on PC; TeX; to print on HP/PostScript/Franciscan monk; pages: 48 ; figures: included. A previous version of this paper was titled ``Endogenous acquisition of information on consumer willingness to pay in a product differentiated duopoly.''
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://184.108.40.206
Price discrimination; Information quality; Information acquisition;
Other versions of this item:
- Qihong Liu & Konstantinos Serfes, 2004. "Quality of Information and Oligopolistic Price Discrimination," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(4), pages 671-702, December.
- Qihong Liu & Konstantinos Serfes, 2002. "Quality of Information and Oligopolistic Price Discrimination," Industrial Organization 0207007, EconWPA.
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- O30 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2002-06-13 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Liu, Qihong & Serfes, Konstantinos, 2007. "Market segmentation and collusive behavior," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 355-378, April.
- Ramón Faulí-Oller & Lluís Bru & Joel Sandonís, 2006.
"Partial Price Discrimination By An Upstream Monopolist,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
2006-03, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Lluís Bru & Ramon Faulí-Oller & Joel Sandonís, 2011. "Partial price discrimination by an upstream monopolist," SERIEs, Spanish Economic Association, vol. 2(2), pages 217-231, June.
- Toshihiro Matsumura & Noriaki Matsushima, 2013. "Should firms employ personalized pricing?," ISER Discussion Paper 0869, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Stole, Lars A., 2007. "Price Discrimination and Competition," Handbook of Industrial Organization, Elsevier.
- Stefano Colombo, 2011.
"Pricing Policy and Partial Collusion,"
Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade,
Springer, vol. 11(4), pages 325-349, December.
- Stefano Colombo, 2009. "Pricing Policy and Partial Collusion," DISCE - Quaderni dell'Istituto di Economia e Finanza ief0090, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE).
- Jentzsch, Nicola & Sapi, Geza & Suleymanova, Irina, 2012.
"Targeted pricing and customer data sharing among rivals,"
DICE Discussion Papers
60, Heinrich‐Heine‐Universität Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE).
- Jentzsch, Nicola & Sapi, Geza & Suleymanova, Irina, 2013. "Targeted pricing and customer data sharing among rivals," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 131-144.
- Colombo, Stefano, 2012. "An indifference result concerning collusion in spatial frameworks," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 18-21.
- Colombo, Stefano, 2009.
"On the Effects of Selective Below-Cost Pricing in a Vertical Differentiation Model,"
Economics Discussion Papers
2009-25, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Colombo, Stefano, 2009. "On the effects of selective below-cost pricing in a vertical differentiation model," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 3(33), pages 1-13.
- Colombo, Stefano, 2010.
"Product differentiation, price discrimination and collusion,"
Research in Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 18-27, March.
- Stefano Colombo, 2009. "Product differentiation, price discrimination and collusion," DISCE - Quaderni dell'Istituto di Economia e Finanza ief0085, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE).
- Stefano Colombo, 2011. "Discriminatory prices and the prisoner dilemma problem," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 46(2), pages 397-416, April.
- Stefano Colombo, 2009. "Sustainability of collusion with imperfect price discrimination and inelastic demand functions," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(3), pages 1687-1694.
- Fatemi, Farshad, 2010. "Information Acquisition and Price Discrimination," MPRA Paper 20399, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bernhardt, Dan & Liu, Qihong & Serfes, Konstantinos, 2007. "Product customization," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 51(6), pages 1396-1422, August.
- Liu, Qihong & Serfes, Konstantinos, 2006. "Customer information sharing among rival firms," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 50(6), pages 1571-1600, August.
- Liu, Qihong & Serfes, Konstantinos, 2005. "Imperfect price discrimination in a vertical differentiation model," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 23(5-6), pages 341-354, June.
- Oz Shy & Rune Stenbacka, 2012. "Investment in customer recognition and information exchange," Working Papers 12-4, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Neeraj Arora & Xavier Dreze & Anindya Ghose & James Hess & Raghuram Iyengar & Bing Jing & Yogesh Joshi & V. Kumar & Nicholas Lurie & Scott Neslin & S. Sajeesh & Meng Su & Niladri Syam & Jacquelyn Thom, 2008. "Putting one-to-one marketing to work: Personalization, customization, and choice," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 19(3), pages 305-321, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.