Informational Cascades with Continuous Action Spaces
AbstractThe recent literature on informational cascades has nurtured the impression that cascades can occur only if the action space is coarser than the signal space. In particular, it is sometimes claimed that with continuous action spaces cascades are impossible. In this note we present a simple counter-example showing that this conclusion is not necessarily warranted.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Game Theory and Information with number 9710002.
Length: 6 pages
Date of creation: 13 Oct 1997
Date of revision:
Note: pages: 6
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://188.8.131.52
herding; cascades; information;
Other versions of this item:
- Huck, Steffen & Oechssler, Jorg, 1998. "Informational cascades with continuous action spaces," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 163-166, August.
- D8 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vives, X..A., 1995.
"Social Learning and Rational Expectations,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
305.95, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Gul, Faruk & Lundholm, Russell, 1995. "Endogenous Timing and the Clustering of Agents' Decisions," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(5), pages 1039-66, October.
- Banerjee, Abhijit V, 1992. "A Simple Model of Herd Behavior," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 107(3), pages 797-817, August.
- Efraim Berkovich, 2011. "Search and herding effects in peer-to-peer lending: evidence from prosper.com," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 389-405, August.
- Oberholzer-Gee, Felix, 2008. "Nonemployment stigma as rational herding: A field experiment," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 30-40, January.
- Antonio Guarino & Philippe Jehie, 2009.
"Social Learning with Coarse Inference,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
814577000000000292, David K. Levine.
- Antonio Guarino & Philippe Jehiel, 2009. "Social Leanring with Course Inference," WEF Working Papers 0050, ESRC World Economy and Finance Research Programme, Birkbeck, University of London.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.