Comparing Risks with Unbounded Distributions
AbstractWe extend the characterizations of increasing risks developed by Rothschild and Stiglitz (1970) to the case of unbounded probability distributions. We also consider the related notion of increasing risk about $\nu$ introduced by Landsberger and Meilijson (1990). Moreover, for some of the results we give new and more elegant proofs.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Risk and Insurance Archive in its series Working Papers with number 026.
Date of creation: Oct 1996
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
increasing risk; stochastic dominance; mean preserving spreads;
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Diamond, Peter A. & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1974. "Increases in risk and in risk aversion," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 337-360, July.
- Ian Jewitt, 1989. "Choosing Between Risky Prospects: The Characterization of Comparative Statics Results, and Location Independent Risk," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(1), pages 60-70, January.
- Michael Landsberger & Isaac Meilijson, 1994. "The Generating Process and an Extension of Jewitt's Location Independent Risk Concept," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(5), pages 662-669, May.
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1970. "Increasing risk: I. A definition," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 225-243, September.
- Kroll, Yoram & Leshno, Moshe & Levy, Haim & Spector, Yishay, 1995. "Increasing risk, decreasing absolute risk aversion and diversification," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 537-556.
- Landsberger, Michael & Meilijson, Isaac, 1990. "Lotteries, insurance, and star-shaped utility functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 1-17, October.
- Muller, Alfred, 1996. "Orderings of risks: A comparative study via stop-loss transforms," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 215-222, April.
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1971. "Increasing risk II: Its economic consequences," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 66-84, March.
- Mao, Tiantian & Hu, Taizhong, 2012. "Characterization of left-monotone risk aversion in the RDEU model," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 413-422.
- Hu, Taizhong & Chen, Jing & Yao, Junchao, 2006. "Preservation of the location independent risk order under convolution," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 406-412, April.
- Muller, Alfred, 1998.
"Another Tale of Two Tails: On Characterizations of Comparative Risk,"
Journal of Risk and Uncertainty,
Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 187-97, May-June.
- Alfred Mueller, 1996. "Another tale of two tails: On characterizations of comparative risk," Working Papers 025, Risk and Insurance Archive.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.