Another tale of two tails: On characterizations of comparative risk
AbstractWe characterize the classes of utility functions that are consistent with different notions of mean preserving spreads introduced in the literature. This gives rise to a unified approach and extension of some definitions of increasing risk, including the concepts of Rothschild and Stiglitz (1970) and Landsberger and Meilijson (1990a). The main idea is to restrict the possible mean preserving spreads to an arbitrary subset.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Risk and Insurance Archive in its series Working Papers with number 025.
Date of creation: Oct 1996
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
increasing risk; stochastic dominance; mean preserving spreads; classes of utility functions;
Other versions of this item:
- Muller, Alfred, 1998. "Another Tale of Two Tails: On Characterizations of Comparative Risk," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 187-97, May-June.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1971. "Increasing risk II: Its economic consequences," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 66-84, March.
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1970. "Increasing risk: I. A definition," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 225-243, September.
- Alfred Mueller, 1996.
"Comparing Risks with Unbounded Distributions,"
026, Risk and Insurance Archive.
- Ian Jewitt, 1989. "Choosing Between Risky Prospects: The Characterization of Comparative Statics Results, and Location Independent Risk," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(1), pages 60-70, January.
- Diamond, Peter A. & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1974. "Increases in risk and in risk aversion," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 337-360, July.
- Michael Landsberger & Isaac Meilijson, 1994. "The Generating Process and an Extension of Jewitt's Location Independent Risk Concept," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(5), pages 662-669, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.