Some Preliminary Experiments with the Financial "Toy-Room"
AbstractWe describe some preliminary experiments realized with Financial "Toy-Room" (a micro-founded simulation environment for decentralized trade in a homogeneous financial asset). The experiments are aimed at testing the system, and exploring its flexibility in depicting specific contexts as sub-cases. For this purpose, we selected an issue that has been widely investigated in the literature: the existence and characterization of markets in which prices are (or are believed to be) "quality signals" passing information from informed to uninformed traders. In our out-of-equilibrium simulation analysis, we take agents to trade based on a \f2spread rule\f1, and introduce \f2dis-synchronization\f1 in agents' updating processes. Thus, we investigate how dis-synchronization, updating paces and spreads affect persistence of trade and the time-path of prices in extreme regimes (i.e. when all agents are informed, or all agents are uninformed).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis in its series Working Papers with number ir98091.
Date of creation: Oct 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: A-2361 Laxenburg
Web page: http://www.iiasa.ac.at/Publications/Catalog/PUB_ONLINE.html
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sanford J Grossman & Joseph E Stiglitz, 1997.
"On the Impossibility of Informationally Efficient Markets,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
1908, David K. Levine.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1980. "On the Impossibility of Informationally Efficient Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 393-408, June.
- M. Valente, 1997. "Laboratory for Simulation Development User Manual," Working Papers ir97020, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1976. "Information and Competitive Price Systems," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(2), pages 246-53, May.
- Francesca Chiaromonte & Giovanni Dosi, 1999. "Modeling a Decentralized Asset Market: An Introduction to the Financial "Toy-Room"," LEM Papers Series 1999/02, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- F. Chiaromonte & G. Dosi, 1998. "Modeling a Decentralized Asset Market: An Introduction the Financial "Toy Room"," Working Papers ir98115, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.