Banks-Firms Nexus under the Currency Board: Empirical Evidence from Bulgaria
AbstractThis study analyses bank lending in the larger context of bank-firm relations within the Bulgarian specificity of currency board. It focuses on the ‘intersection’ of credit supply and demand on the side of banks and firms simultaneously. We suggest both traditional and new hypotheses corresponding to the specific conditions of the Bulgarian ownership change, transitional corruption and other institutional and political factors. The model is based on a survey on Bulgarian banks and a unique database on firms. The study found that the dynamics and structure of credit is affected mainly by the features of the institutional environment, whereas the ‘resource’ and traditional factors became secondary. During the period 1998 – 2001, there is separation of the banking sector activity from the activity of the real sector in Bulgaria. In the new conditions of currency board, the dual sector of enterprises and the specific institutional environment continue their existence. Despite its disciplining effect the currency board by itself is not sufficiently effective to overcome the remaining ‘institutional obstacles, associated mainly with the inefficiency of the judicial system, corruption, state capture, uncertain property rights, etc.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan in its series William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series with number 555.
Length: 27 pages
Date of creation: 01 Apr 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 724 E. University Ave, Wyly Hall 1st Flr, Ann Arbor MI 48109
Phone: 734 763-5020
Fax: 734 763 5850
Web page: http://www.wdi.umich.edu
More information through EDIRC
corporate governance; bank lending; currency board; corruption; transition economy;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E5 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit
- G2 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services
- L1 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance
- P2 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-11-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-IFN-2003-11-23 (International Finance)
- NEP-MFD-2003-11-23 (Microfinance)
- NEP-TRA-2003-11-23 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gustavo Enrique CaÃ±onero, 1997. "Bank Concentration and the Supply of Credit in Argentina," IMF Working Papers 97/40, International Monetary Fund.
- P.R. Agenor & J. Aizenman & A. Hoffmaister, 2000.
"The Credit Crunch in East Asia: What can Bank Excess Liquid Assets Tell us?,"
NBER Working Papers
7951, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Agenor, Pierre-Richard & Aizenman, Joshua & Hoffmaister, Alexander W., 2004. "The credit crunch in East Asia: what can bank excess liquid assets tell us?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 27-49, February.
- Agenor, Pierre-Richard & Aizenman, Joshua & Hoffmaister, Alexander, 2000. "The credit crunch in East Asia : what can bank excess liquid assets tell us ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2483, The World Bank.
- Atish R. Ghosh & Swart R. Ghosh, 1999.
"East Asia in the Aftermath - Was There a Crunch?,"
IMF Working Papers
99/38, International Monetary Fund.
- Berglof, Erik & Roland, Gerard, 1997. "Soft budget constraints and credit crunches in financial transition," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 807-817, April.
- Mehrdad Vahabi, 2001.
"The Soft Budget Constraint: A Theoretical Clarification,"
- Mehrdad VAHABI, 2001. "The Soft Budget Constraint : A Theoretical Clarification," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 2001024, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Mathias Dewatripont & Eric Maskin, 2004.
"Credit and efficiency in centralized and decentralized economies,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/9605, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Dewatripont, M & Maskin, E, 1995. "Credit and Efficiency in Centralized and Decentralized Economies," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(4), pages 541-55, October.
- Mathias Dewatripont & Eric Maskin, 1995. "Credit and efficiency in centralized and decentralized economies," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/9603, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Li, D.D., 1992. "Public Ownership as a Sufficient Condition for the Soft Budget Constraint," Papers 93-07, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- A. Calza & C. Gartner & J. Sousa, 2003.
"Modelling the demand for loans to the private sector in the euro area,"
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 35(1), pages 107-117.
- Calza, Alessandro & Gartner, Christine & Sousa, João, 2001. "Modelling the demand for loans to the private sector in the euro area," Working Paper Series 0055, European Central Bank.
- Hernando, Ignacio & Martinéz Pagés, Jorge, 2001. "Is there a bank lending channel of monetary policy in Spain?," Working Paper Series 0099, European Central Bank.
- Pierre-Olivier Gourinchas & Rodrigo Valdes & Oscar Landerretche, 2001.
"Lending Booms: Latin America and the World,"
NBER Working Papers
8249, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fair, Ray C & Jaffee, Dwight M, 1972. "Methods of Estimation for Markets in Disequilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 40(3), pages 497-514, May.
- Ignacio Hernando & Jorge Martínez Pagés, 2001. "Is There a Bank Lending Channel of Monetary Policy in Spain?," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0117, Banco de Espa�a.
- Klaus Gugler & Dennis C. Mueller & B. Burcin Yurtoglu, 2001. "Corporate Governance, Capital MarketDiscipline and the Returns on Investment," CIG Working Papers FS IV 01-25, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Mojon, Benoît & Peersman, Gert, 2001. "A VAR description of the effects of monetary policy in the individual countries of the euro area," Working Paper Series 0092, European Central Bank.
- Adolfo Barajas & Roberto Steiner, 2002. "Credit Stagnation in Latin America," IMF Working Papers 02/53, International Monetary Fund.
- Pissarides, Francesca & Singer, Miroslav & Svejnar, Jan, 2003.
"Objectives and Constraints of Entrepreneurs: Evidence from Small and Medium-Size Enterprises in Russia and Bulgaria,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4142, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pissarides, Francesca & Singer, Miroslav & Svejnar, Jan, 2003. "Objectives and constraints of entrepreneurs: evidence from small and medium size enterprises in Russia and Bulgaria," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 503-531, September.
- Francesca Pissarides & Miroslav Singer & Jan Svejnar, 2000. "Objectives and Constraints of Entrepreneurs: Evidence from Small and Medium Size Enterprises in Russia and Bulgaria," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 346, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Francesca Pissarides & Miroslav Singer & Jan Svejnar, 2000. "Objectives and constraints of entrepreneurs: evidence from small and medium-sized enterprises in Russia and Bulgaria," Working Papers 59, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, Office of the Chief Economist.
- Steven M. Fazzari & R. Glenn Hubbard & BRUCE C. PETERSEN, 1988.
"Financing Constraints and Corporate Investment,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 19(1), pages 141-206.
- de Haan, Leo, 2001.
"The credit channel in the Netherlands: evidence from bank balance sheets,"
Working Paper Series
0098, European Central Bank.
- L. de Haan, 2001. "The Credit Channel in the Netherlands: Evidence from Bank Balance Sheets," WO Research Memoranda (discontinued) 674, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Topi, Jukka & Vilmunen, Jouko, 2001. "Transmission of monetary policy shocks in Finland: evidence from bank level data on loans," Working Paper Series 0100, European Central Bank.
- Nenovsky Nikolay & Hristov Kalin & Mihaylov Mihail, 2001. "Comparing Currency Board Automatic Mechanism in Bulgaria, Estonia and Lithuania," Journal des Economistes et des Etudes Humaines, De Gruyter, vol. 11(4), pages 1-44, December.
- Luis CatÃ£o, 1997. "Bank Credit in Argentina in the Aftermath of the Mexican Crisis: Supply or Demand Constrained?," IMF Working Papers 97/32, International Monetary Fund.
- Raphael H. Solomon, 2005. "Pocket Banks and Out-of-Pocket Losses: Links between Corruption and Contagion," Working Papers 05-23, Bank of Canada.
- Größl, Ingrid, 2005. "The interplay of legal and social norms and the failure of the bank credit market in Bulgaria," Discussion Papers 04, University of Hamburg, Centre for Economic and Sociological Studies (CESS/ZÖSS).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laurie Gendron).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.