On the Causes of Soft Budget Constraints: Firm-Level Evidence from Bulgaria and Romania
AbstractSeveral theoretical explanations for the presence of soft budget constraints have recently been put forward in the literature. The purpose of this paper is to empirically test these theories on the causes of soft budget constraints. We therefore use a panel data set, consisting of company account data for Bulgarian and Romanian manufacturing firms, covering the period 1996-1990. Our results suggest that the probability of finding soft budget constraints importantly depends on the degree of competition within the sector and on the ownership of the firm. Ownership structure in Bulgaria however, has no additional explanatory power once firms are loss-making. We further find that socio-political concerns about employment increase the probability of SBC's, but only when firms are loss-making. Thus, our empirical results largely confirm the hypotheses that competition, privatisation and firm size matter in explaining soft budget constraints, as suggested in the theoretical models on the causes of soft budget constraints.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven in its series LICOS Discussion Papers with number 10901.
Length: 37 pages
Date of creation: 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: De Bériotstraat 34, B-3000 Leuven
Phone: +32 (0) 16 / 32 6598
Fax: +32 (0) 16 / 32 6599
Web page: http://www.econ.kuleuven.be/licos
More information through EDIRC
Soft Budget Constraints; Competition; Privatisation; Transition;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- P31 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions - - - Socialist Enterprises and Their Transitions
- P35 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions - - - Public Finance
- L10 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-11-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-MFD-2003-11-03 (Microfinance)
- NEP-TRA-2003-11-03 (Transition Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- R.T.A. de Haas & H.M.M. Peeters, 2004.
"Firms' dynamic adjustment to target capital structures in transition economies,"
WO Research Memoranda (discontinued)
761, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- R.T.A. de Haas & H.M.M. Peeters, 2004. "Firms' Dynamic Adjustment to Target Capital Structures in Transition Economies," Finance 0405014, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.