Climate change, agriculture and poverty
AbstractAlthough much has been written about climate change and poverty as distinct and complex problems, the link between them has received little attention. Understanding this link is vital for the formulation of effective policy responses to climate change. This paper focuses on agriculture as a primary means by which the impacts of climate change are transmitted to the poor, and as a sector at the forefront of climate change mitigation efforts in developing countries. In so doing, the paper offers some important insights that mayhelp shape future policies as well as ongoing research in this area.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 5468.
Date of creation: 01 Nov 2010
Date of revision:
Wetlands; Climate Change Mitigation and Green House Gases; Climate Change Economics; Environmental Economics&Policies; Science of Climate Change;
Other versions of this item:
- Hertel, Thomas W. & Rosch, Stephanie D., 2010. "Climate Change, Agriculture And Poverty," Proceedings Issues, 2010: Climate Change in World Agriculture: Mitigation, Adaptation, Trade and Food Security, June 2010, Stuttgart- Hohenheim, Germany 91437, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- NEP-AGR-2010-11-13 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2010-11-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2010-11-13 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-ENV-2010-11-13 (Environmental Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rafael E. de Hoyos & Denis Medvedev, 2011.
"Poverty Effects of Higher Food Prices: A Global Perspective,"
Review of Development Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(3), pages 387-402, 08.
- De Hoyos, Rafael E. & Medvedev, Denis, 2009. "Poverty effects of higher food prices : a global perspective," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4887, The World Bank.
- Alejandro Lopez-Feldman, 2013. "Climate change, agriculture, and poverty: A household level analysis for rural Mexico," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 33(2), pages 1126-1139.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.