Global monetary conditions versus country-specific factors in the determination of emerging market debt spreads
AbstractThe authors offer evidence that U.S. interest rate policy has an important influence in the determination of credit spreads on emerging market bonds over U.S. benchmark treasuries and therefore on their cost of capital. Their analysis improves on the existing literature and understanding by addressing the dynamics of market expectations in shaping views on interest rate and monetary policy changes and by recognizing nonlinearities in the link between U.S. interest rates and emerging market bond spreads, as the level of interest rates affect the market's perceived probability of default and the solvency of emerging market borrowers. For a country with a moderate level of debt, repayment prospects would remain good in the face of an increase in U.S. interest rates, so there would be little increase in spreads. A country close to the borderline of solvency would face a steeper increase in spreads. Simulations of a 200 basis points (bps) increase in U.S. interest rates show an increase in emerging market spreads ranging from 6 bps to 65 bps, depending on debt/GDP ratios. This would be in addition to the increase in the benchmark U.S. 10 year Treasury rate.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 3626.
Date of creation: 01 Jun 2005
Date of revision:
Economic Theory&Research; Environmental Economics&Policies; Banks&Banking Reform; Insurance&Risk Mitigation; Financial Intermediation;
Other versions of this item:
- Dailami, Mansoor & Masson, Paul R. & Padou, Jean Jose, 2008. "Global monetary conditions versus country-specific factors in the determination of emerging market debt spreads," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(8), pages 1325-1336, December.
- Mansoor Dailami & Paul Masson & Jean Jose Padou, 2005. "Global Monetary Conditions versus Country-Specific Factors in the Determination of Emerging Market Debt Spreads," International Finance 0506003, EconWPA.
- F3 - International Economics - - International Finance
- F4 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-12-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-FMK-2005-12-14 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-MAC-2005-12-14 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Colin F. Camerer, 1997. "Progress in Behavioral Game Theory," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(4), pages 167-188, Fall.
- Jeanne, Olivier, 1997. "Are currency crises self-fulfilling?: A test," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(3-4), pages 263-286, November.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Mody, Ashoka, 1999.
"Lending booms, reserves, and the sustainability of short-term debt - inferences from the pricing of syndicated bank loans,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2155, The World Bank.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Mody, Ashoka, 2000. "Lending booms, reserves and the sustainability of short-term debt: inferences from the pricing of syndicated bank loans," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 5-44, October.
- Barry Eichengreen & Ashoka Mody, 1999. "Lending Booms, Reserves, and the Sustainability of Short-Term Debt: Inferences from the Pricing of Syndicated Bank Loans," NBER Working Papers 7113, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephen Morris & Hyun Song Shin, 2001.
"Rethinking Multiple Equilibria in Macroeconomic Modeling,"
in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2000, Volume 15, pages 139-182
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephen Morris & Hyun Song Shin, 2000. "Rethinking Multiple Equilibria in Macroeconomic Modelling," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1260, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Eaton, Jonathan & Gersovitz, Mark, 1981. "Debt with Potential Repudiation: Theoretical and Empirical Analysis," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(2), pages 289-309, April.
- Gregory R. Duffee, 1998. "The Relation Between Treasury Yields and Corporate Bond Yield Spreads," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(6), pages 2225-2241, December.
- Longstaff, Francis A & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 1995. " A Simple Approach to Valuing Risky Fixed and Floating Rate Debt," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(3), pages 789-819, July.
- Min, Hong-Ghi & Lee, Duk-Hee & Nam, Changi & Park, Myeong-Cheol & Nam, Sang-Ho, 2003. "Determinants of emerging-market bond spreads: Cross-country evidence," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 271-286, December.
- Merton, Robert C., 1973.
"On the pricing of corporate debt: the risk structure of interest rates,"
684-73., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Merton, Robert C, 1974. "On the Pricing of Corporate Debt: The Risk Structure of Interest Rates," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 449-70, May.
- Reuven Glick & Ramon Moreno & Mark Spiegel, 2001. "Financial crises in emerging markets," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Mar. 23.
- Masson, Paul, 1999. "Contagion:: macroeconomic models with multiple equilibria," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 587-602, August.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky, 2003. "Varieties of Currency Crises," NBER Working Papers 10193, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Morris, Stephen & Shin, Hyun Song, 1998.
"Unique Equilibrium in a Model of Self-Fulfilling Currency Attacks,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 88(3), pages 587-97, June.
- Morris, S & Song Shin, H, 1996. "Unique Equilibrium in a Model of Self-Fulfilling Currency Attacks," Economics Papers 126, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Morris, Stephen & Shin, Hyun Song, 1997. "Unique Equilibrium in a Model of Self-fulfilling Currency Attacks," CEPR Discussion Papers 1687, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Edwin J. Elton, 2001. "Explaining the Rate Spread on Corporate Bonds," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(1), pages 247-277, 02.
- Jeremy Leake, 2003. "Credit spreads on sterling corporate bonds and the term structure of UK interest rates," Bank of England working papers 202, Bank of England.
- Michael Boss & Martin Scheicher, 2002. "The determinants of credit spread changes in the euro area," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Market functioning and central bank policy, volume 12, pages 181-199 Bank for International Settlements.
- Luca Antonio Ricci & Marcos Chamon & Yuanyan Sophia Zhang, 2011. "Country Insurance Using Financial Instruments," IMF Working Papers 11/169, International Monetary Fund.
- Nickel, Christiane & Rother, Philipp & Rülke, Jan C., 2009. "Fiscal variables and bond spreads: evidence from eastern European countries and Turkey," Working Paper Series 1101, European Central Bank.
- Andrea Pescatori & Amadou N R Sy, 2007. "Are Debt Crises Adequately Defined?," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 54(2), pages 306-337, June.
- Fatih Ozatay & Erdal Ozmen & Gulbin Sahinbeyoglu, 2008.
"Emerging Market Sovereign Spreads, Global Financial Conditions and US Macroeconomic News,"
400, Economic Research Forum, revised May 2008.
- Özatay, Fatih & Özmen, Erdal & Sahinbeyoglu, Gülbin, 2009. "Emerging market sovereign spreads, global financial conditions and U.S. macroeconomic news," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 526-531, March.
- Fatih Ozatay & Erdal Ozmen & Gülbin Sahinbeyoglu, 2007. "Emerging Market Sovereign Spreads, Global Financial Conditions and U.S. Macroeconomic News," ERC Working Papers 0707, ERC - Economic Research Center, Middle East Technical University, revised Dec 2007.
- Dailami, Mansoor, 2010. "Sovereign debt distress and corporate spillover impacts," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5380, The World Bank.
- Byrne, Joseph P. & Fiess, Norbert & MacDonald, Ronald, 2011.
"The global dimension to fiscal sustainability,"
Journal of Macroeconomics,
Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 137-150, June.
- Byrne, Joseph P. & Fiess, Norbert & MacDonald, Ronald, 2008. "The Global Dimension to Fiscal Sustainability," SIRE Discussion Papers 2008-14, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Joseph P. Byrne & Norbert Fiess & Ronald MacDonald, 2008. "The Global Dimension to Fiscal Sustainability," Working Papers 2008_10, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Philippe D Karam & Doug Hostland, 2005.
"Assessing Debt Sustainability in Emerging Market Economies Using Stochastic Simulation Methods,"
IMF Working Papers
05/226, International Monetary Fund.
- Hostland, Doug & Karam, Philippe, 2006. "Assessing debt sustainability in emerging market economies using stochastic simulation methods," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3821, The World Bank.
- Sophie Brana & Delphine Lahet, 2011.
"Foreign Banks and the Stability of Foreign and Domestic Credit in CEECs,"
Larefi Working Papers
1107, Larefi, Université Bordeaux 4.
- Sophie Brana & Delphine Lahet, 2011. "Foreign banks and the stability of foreign and domestic credit in CEECs," Working Papers hal-00637686, HAL.
- Jens Hilscher & Yves Nosbusch, 2007.
"Determinants of Sovereign Risk: Macroeconomic Fundamentals and the Pricing of Sovereign Debt,"
Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2006
114, Money Macro and Finance Research Group, revised 24 Apr 2007.
- Jens Hilscher & Yves Nosbusch, 2010. "Determinants of Sovereign Risk: Macroeconomic Fundamentals and the Pricing of Sovereign Debt," Review of Finance, European Finance Association, vol. 14(2), pages 235-262.
- repec:laf:wpaper:201107 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sanjeev Gupta & Amine Mati & Emanuele Baldacci, 2008. "Is it (Still) Mostly Fiscal? Determinants of Sovereign Spreads in Emerging Markets," IMF Working Papers 08/259, International Monetary Fund.
- Maltritz, Dominik, 2012. "Determinants of sovereign yield spreads in the Eurozone: A Bayesian approach," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 657-672.
- Laura Jaramillo & Anke Weber, 2012. "Bond Yields in Emerging Economies: It Matters What State You Are In," IMF Working Papers 12/198, International Monetary Fund.
- Wälti, Sébastien & Weder, Ghislaine, 2009. "Recovering from bond market distress: Good luck and good policy," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 36-50, March.
- Brana, Sophie & Lahet, Delphine, 2010. "Determinants of capital inflows into Asia: The relevance of contagion effects as push factors," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 273-284, September.
- Pierre L. Siklos, 2008. "Determinants of Emerging Market Spreads: Domestic, Global Factors, and Volatility," Working Papers 182008, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.