World Bank support for pensions and social security
AbstractPension and social insurance programs that prevent a substantial loss in consumption resulting from old age, disability, or death are an integral part of any social protection system. The dual objectives of such programs are to allow for the prevention of a sharp decline in income when these life-cycle events take place and protection against poverty in old age. This background paper reviews the World Bank's conceptual framework for the analysis of pension programs and defines the major challenges facing low and middle income countries, namely, coverage, adequacy and sustainability. The paper proposes a broad, forward-looking strategy to help address these challenges.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Social Protection Discussion Papers with number 70925.
Date of creation: 01 Mar 2012
Date of revision:
Safety Nets and Transfers; Pensions&Retirement Systems; Emerging Markets; Debt Markets; Banks&Banking Reform;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGE-2012-07-29 (Economics of Ageing)
- NEP-ALL-2012-07-29 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEM-2012-07-29 (Demographic Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robalino, David A. & Rawlings, Laura & Walker, Ian, 2012. "Building social protection and labor systems : concepts and operational implications," Social Protection Discussion Papers 67608, The World Bank.
- Werding, Martin & McLennan, Stuart, 2011. "International portability of health-cost coverage : concepts and experience," Social Protection Discussion Papers 63929, The World Bank.
- Andrews, Colin & Galliano, Elena & Turk, Carolyn & Zampaglione, Giuseppe, 2011. "Social safety nets in fragile states : a community-based school feeding program in Togo," Social Protection Discussion Papers 64631, The World Bank.
- Blattman, Christopher & Fiala, Nathan & Martinez, Sebastian, 2011.
"Employment generation in rural Africa : mid-term results from an experimental evaluation of the Youth Opportunities Program in Northern Uganda,"
Social Protection Discussion Papers
66523, The World Bank.
- Christopher Blattman & Nathan Fiala & Sebastian Martinez, 2012. "Employment Generation in Rural Africa: Mid-Term Results from an Experimental Evaluation of the Youth Opportunities Program in Northern Uganda," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1201, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Holzmann, Robert, 2012.
"Global Pension Systems and Their Reform: Worldwide Drivers, Trends, and Challenges,"
IZA Discussion Papers
6800, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Holzmann, Robert, 2012. "Global pension systems and their reform : worldwide drivers, trends, and challenges," Social Protection Discussion Papers 68934, The World Bank.
- Holzmann, Robert & Koettl, Johannes, 2011.
"Portability of Pension, Health, and Other Social Benefits: Facts, Concepts, Issues,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5715, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Holzmann, Robert & Koettl, Johannes, 2011. "Portability of pension, health, and other social benefits : facts, concepts, issues," Social Protection Discussion Papers 62725, The World Bank.
- Angel-Urdinola, Diego F. & Tanabe, Kimie, 2012. "Micro-determinants of informal employment in the Middle East and North Africa region," Social Protection Discussion Papers 66594, The World Bank.
- Kuriakose, Anne T. & Heltberg, Rasmus & Heltberg, Rasmus & Wiseman, William & Costella, Cecilia & Cipryk, Rachel & Cornelius, Sabine, 2012. "Climate responsive social protection," Social Protection Discussion Papers 67614, The World Bank.
- Andrews, Colin & Ovadiya, Mirey & Ribes Ros, Christophe & Wodon, Quentin, 2012. "Cash for work in Sierra Leone : a case study on the design and implementation of a safety net in response to a crisis," Social Protection Discussion Papers 73719, The World Bank.
- Mitra, Sophie & Posarac, Aleksandra & Vick, Brandon, 2011. "Disability and poverty in developing countries : a snapshot from the world health survey," Social Protection Discussion Papers 62564, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Raiden C. Dillard).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.