Testing for Unit Roots in Semi-Annual Data
AbstractWe consider the problem of testing for unit roots at the zero and seasonal frequencies in time-series data which are recorded semi-annually. The proposed methodology follows that of Hylleberg et al. (1990) and Beaulieu and Miron (1993) for quarterly and monthly data respectively. The non-standard asymptotic distributions for the single and joint tests are derived, and various percentiles of the finite-sample distributions are tabulated. Monte Carlo simulation is used to investigate the powers of the tests, and we illustrate their application to several semi-annual economic time-series.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Victoria in its series Econometrics Working Papers with number 9912.
Length: 29 pages
Date of creation: 24 Aug 1999
Date of revision:
Note: ISSN 1485-6441
Contact details of provider:
Postal: PO Box 1700, STN CSC, Victoria, BC, Canada, V8W 2Y2
Web page: http://web.uvic.ca/econ
More information through EDIRC
Unit roots; non-stationary data; seasonality; semi-annual data;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2000-01-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2000-01-24 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2000-01-24 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ghysels, Eric & Lee, Hahn S. & Noh, Jaesum, 1994. "Testing for unit roots in seasonal time series : Some theoretical extensions and a Monte Carlo investigation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 415-442, June.
- Hylleberg, S. & Engle, R.F. & Granger, C.W.J. & Yoo, B.S., 1988.
"Seasonal, Integration And Cointegration,"
6-88-2, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- J. Joseph Beaulieu & Jeffrey A. Miron, 1992.
"Seasonal Unit Roots in Aggregate U.S. Data,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0126, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dolado, Juan J & Jenkinson, Tim & Sosvilla-Rivero, Simon, 1990. " Cointegration and Unit Roots," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(3), pages 249-73.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Richard Smith & Robert Taylor, .
"Additional Critical Values and Asymptotic Representations for Seasonal Unit Root Tests,"
95/43, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Smith, Richard J. & Taylor, A. M. Robert, 1998. "Additional critical values and asymptotic representations for seasonal unit root tests," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 85(2), pages 269-288, August.
- Smith, R.J. & Taylor, R., 1995. "Additional Critical Values and Asymptotic Representations for Seasonal Unit Roots Tests," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9529, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Denise Osborn & Paulo Rodrigues, 2002. "Asymptotic Distributions Of Seasonal Unit Root Tests: A Unifying Approach," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(2), pages 221-241.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1985.
"Time Series Regression with a Unit Root,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
740R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Feb 1986.
- Franses,Philip Hans, 1998. "Time Series Models for Business and Economic Forecasting," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521586412, December.
- Philip Hans Franses & Bart Hobijn, 1997. "Critical values for unit root tests in seasonal time series," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(1), pages 25-48.
- Osborn, Denise R, et al, 1988. "Seasonality and the Order of Integration for Consumption," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 50(4), pages 361-77, November.
- Olivier Darné & Claude Diebolt, 2002. "A Note on Seasonal Unit Root Tests," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 36(3), pages 305-310, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lori Cretney).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.